Old March 20th 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Default Help on Leslie Charteris book

On Mar 20, 9:27*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:

Wikipedia offers for "Simon Templar"
"In The Saint in New York, Teal's American counterpart,
*NYPD Inspector John Henry Fernack, was introduced, and
he would become, like Teal, a Inspector Lestrade-like foil
and pseudo-nemesis in a number of books, notably the
American-based World War II novels of the 1940s."

That, at least, narrowed it down: I was reasonably certain it was a
book of short stories, and not of novellas. It turns out to be THE
HAPPY HIGHWAYMAN. In my copy, 'The Smart Detective' begins:
"Lieutenant Corrio was on the carpet." But in the British versions, it
begins: "Inspector Corrio was on the carpet."

Thanks for the clue!