Old August 29th 03, 08:07 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:57:14 -0700, "Bob Flaminio" is alleged
to have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I mailed a package of two items to them on July 18, a 1982 D
Washington commem and a 1843 original proof half cent. The 1982 had
very unattractive yellowish blotchy toning, the 1843 had blotchy,
uneven toning, very dark, on the obverse and reverse. Before photos
can be seen he

http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25O.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25R.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843O.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843R.JPG

If anyone needed to guess, I was Bruce's partner in crime with the 82-D
Washington. This coin started life in a PCI 69 slab, and has been passed
around to all the grading services. The progression:

PCI 69
ICG 66
PCGS 66
ANACS 67
NCS scrubbing - NGC 68

If you can see any evidence at all of scrubbing on those toned areas, mail me
back the coin and I'll eat it. :-) I looked long and hard at 30x.

This is my one data point contribution to an analysis of the grading
services. Draw whatever conclusions you may like.

When I received the coin in an ANACS 67 slab, I felt it was overgraded. The
yellow REALLY detracted from the look of the coin, enough so that I would have
graded it 65 or 66. I felt ANACS blew that grade.

Upon return, I have no problem with an NGC68. The surfaces really are mark free
and without the yellow it's quite a nice coin.

Thanks Bruce for helping me with my quest!

My pleasure!

Bruce