Old January 24th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default RUSSIA: Irwin Goodman collection

In article , Bob Hairgrove
wrote:

I just recently purchased a catalog of the auction of the Irwin
Goodman collection of Russian coins, mostly dated pre-1917 and almost
exclusively silver coins. The catalog is entirely in Russian. Although
there is no indication of who published it or the date of publication,
the contents lead me to believe that it was published shortly after
the auction of this collection (February 1991) but before the Soviet
Union split up and became Russia + independent states (previously
"autonomous republics").

[snip]

I was hoping to find some more literature about this -- e.g., where
the auction took place, perhaps some better pictures of the coins sold
-- but Google turned up zilch! Maybe I'm mis-spelling his name (all I
have to go by is the Russian transliteration, i.e.: "IRVIN GUDMAN")??

Try "Irving Goodman" ... his Chinese and Russian collections were
sold by Superior in the early 1990's. The catalog you mention is
probably a Russian translation of the English version of the catalog,
which I described as follows when I sold it on eBay some time ago:

# "The Irving Goodman Collection of Russian Coinage", sold by Superior
# Galleries on February 11 - 12, 1991
#
# 120 pages plus 6 color plates, 1767 lots. Softbound, very fine condition.
# The Prices Realized List is not present.
#
# One of the standard reference collections of Russian coinage. The sale
# included 50 lots of Russian gold coinage, 750 lots of Silver and Copper
# Coins and Medals of Russia (issued under Alexei Michailovitch, Peter I,
# Catherine I, Peter II, Anna Ivanovna, Ivan III, Elizabeth Petrovna, Peter
# III, Catherine II, Paul I, Alexander I, Poland Under Russia, Nicholas I,
# Alexander II, Alexander III, Nicholas II), 13 lots of errors and 79 lots of
# Soviet Union coinage 1917 - 1940's. Well-illustrated throughout via
# high-quality halftones plus six stunning color plates. A "must have" for
# the serious Russian numismatist ...

You can probably get a nice copy of the original catalog if you
look on eBay for a while ... I may even have a duplicate around
here somewhere ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website: