Old February 16th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default OT Question for RF

On Feb 15, 6:38*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
RWF wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
There was a fellow who had scads of Hardy Boys (in tan-colored hard
covers) out at the flea market today. *My guess is that they were
vintage 1946-1955. *When I got around to reading the H.B. in the late
1960s, the covers were illustrated in color.

I've never followed these things. *Is there any thing in that vintage
of H.B. that one should look for? *The seller wanted $2.50 each,
probably could have bought the lot for less than that per copy.

Tan covered books without dust jackets are practically worthless.

As a bibliophile, I share the phobia about antiquarian books that lack dj..
But why is this? *Numismatists have their cleaning issues, but why do book
collectors often pay more for a dj than for the book itself? *There's gotta
be some deep, philosophical, psychological cause. *'Splain that one, if you
can.

James

I had a similar thought about the dust jacket making or breaking the
book - there is very little in the DJ that makes it at all valuable.

Seems a lot like the emphasis on "MIB" for toys and such.

oly