Old December 23rd 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Default N.J. governor signs gay civil unions law

I wrote:

Season's greetings.

Michael replied:

And you.

Do you have Chrimbo, sorry Winter Festival, in Japan then ?
And New Year ?

Yes, Japan has a "Christmas". Just to be bookish (might as well, eh,
even if no one else is!), here's a picture of the cover of "The
Sheep-man's Christmas", an untranslated work by Haruki Murakami:

http://rarebooksinjapan.com/murakami...schristmas.gif

And, just to be chatty (unlike the trolls, I think we have earned that
right), the Japanese Christmas consists of endless piped music versions
of all those ghastly American tunes about hypocritical reindeer and good
old boys on sleighs, played in shopping malls, supermarkets, etc.; a
"Christmas cake" made with lashings of fresh cream and strawberries; and
all the love hotels being booked up on Christmas Eve (I kid you not!).

The day after Christmas all the piped music and decorations are put away
until next year and Japan gets in gear for New Year which, in complete
contrast to its Christmas, is a deeply religious festival and a time for
the family to be together.

" All it takes for trolls to prevail is for good men to keep responding
to them "

Well, maybe. But I believe the original was *not* an exhortation to
stand by and do nothing.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Neither could I. Basically, trolls just want to be kicked and called
"Bad troll". If that's what they want, I say give it to 'em - do a good
job and send 'em packing!

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org