Old November 11th 05, 03:08 PM
Jonathan_ATC

Default Removing baked enamel from coin

"Jeff R" wrote in message
u...

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:57:47 GMT, Jonathan_ATC

wrote:

If it is "real" enamel, which is kiln-fired glass, laquer thinner

won't
work.
To remove real enamel, one would have to suspend the coin vertically

and
fire in a kiln until the enamel ran off the coin. But, I doubt the OP

has
access to a kiln to do this.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure gold melts before glass...

Ummm - how is glass enamelling done to gold or silver or copper, then?

(A.: the glass doesn't have to "melt" as such - it "fuses" and/or

"softens".
Copper only has to be red-hot for this to happen to the enamel.)

Irrelevant to the question at hand, though. Reheating would *not* cause
the glass to "drip" off, though heating then rapid quenching in water

could
well crack it off nicely.

--
Jeff R.

That's how I get all the enamel off projects that get screwed up. I heat
the piece with torch and quench it. The enamel "pops" off nicely. However,
one had better have safety glasses on as it really pops. I've never tried
reheating it in the kiln, but figured that would work too. Why would it not
work?

Jonathan_ATC