Old November 11th 05, 02:16 PM
Jeff R

Default Removing baked enamel from coin

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:57:47 GMT, Jonathan_ATC

wrote:

If it is "real" enamel, which is kiln-fired glass, laquer thinner won't
work.
To remove real enamel, one would have to suspend the coin vertically and
fire in a kiln until the enamel ran off the coin. But, I doubt the OP

has
access to a kiln to do this.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure gold melts before glass...

Ummm - how is glass enamelling done to gold or silver or copper, then?

(A.: the glass doesn't have to "melt" as such - it "fuses" and/or "softens".
Copper only has to be red-hot for this to happen to the enamel.)

Irrelevant to the question at hand, though. Reheating would *not* cause
the glass to "drip" off, though heating then rapid quenching in water could
well crack it off nicely.

--
Jeff R.