Old June 28th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Dave

Default "French Printed" banknotes?

I'm in the process of updating my website with notes that I consider "French
Printed". I realized I'm not sure if that definition corresponds with my
collection, though. For early notes (say pre-1970) it's my understanding
that Banque de France printed many notes for the various colonies, and even
some notes from Greece, Belgium, Yugoslavia, etc. If that's correct (could
someone confirm?) then these certainly would fall under a category of
"French Printed".

Then after 1970 or so (I'm making that date up, perhaps I'm off by a decade
or so) as these colonies were independent (yes, I realize Greece and others
were never French colonies), the notes from these countries remain with a
similar "look" in their designs, though they're a bit more modern and not on
paper that feels quite as much like cloth as the earlier French notes. A
good example are all the notes from West African States, potentially up to
the current notes (though I don't have any from about the last 10 years to
verify).

I'm curious as to whether there is a strict definition of the term "French
Printed" (as used on eBay, etc) that actually does correspond to notes that
are printed in France, and whether the current notes from W.A.S and other ex
colonies are actually printed in France? Or has the term been used pretty
losely, simply as a visual cue to this "look" that started with Banque de
France?

Thanks
Dave