Old May 16th 05, 06:55 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , Cliff
wrote:

Paul, you take a very cavilier attitude towards other people seeing
something out of the ordinary. And you say that "coins or bills that
clearly will never be worth more than face value". Who are you to be
"amused" at other people putting things away for a hopeful future
appreciation?

I didn't intend to belittle those who think these denominations are
"valuable".

Why do you laugh at potential new collectors, who may start
collecting coins or currency just because of the strange new items
you've paid with?

This is part of the reason I spend $2s, dollar coins and halves, and
why I am putting a bunch of the new nickels in circulation. It's a
little bit of education, exposing people to coins and bills they might
not often see, a little bit of trying to get these denominations in
circulation. I would love it if one of the people at White Castle
picked up a coin book because of the money I spent there.

Once they picked up a coin book or learned more about what it is they
have, they would hopefully know the difference between something common
and something valuable.

This elitist attitude is the one you see at coin shows where dealers
decide you can't afford their coins before you even get to their
table or the attitude that collectors show to people coming into this
group with a simple question about something that seems out of the
ordinary.

I love to talk to people about the coins and bills I spend. Do you
know how many times I've explained what one of the new nickels are?
I've had them refused a couple of times, but once I explain that
they're the new nickels, the person often says "oh, I heard about
these!" People, in general, love to receive the new nickels, halves,
dollar coins and $2 bills. It makes a common money transaction a bit
more fun.

Just don't look down your nose the next time you bring a little cheer
into someones life by spending that half dollar or two dollar bill.

I don't. I'm having fun with money, including getting a smile out of
someone who has just received something out of the ordinary from me.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering