Old January 16th 05, 03:44 AM
Ian

Kim E wrote:
Thanks for reposting the RCC FAQ. It was helpful for a newbie. One (at a
time) question I am struggling with is Proof vs Mint State. The Red Book
says that "Proof refers to the method of manufacture and is not the
condition". So if I handed you what looked like a perfect coin, how would
you know if it should be a MS69 or a PF69?

Kim

Modern proof coins are struck using polished dies. This gives the fields
a highly reflective `mirror' like surface. If you need stabndards to
gauge against get hold of a recent proof set and a BU set from whatever
country you live in. The difference in the strikes will be very obvious
to the eye.