Old January 16th 05, 07:31 PM
Michael R

"Kim E" wrote in message
Thanks for reposting the RCC FAQ. It was helpful for a newbie. One (at a
time) question I am struggling with is Proof vs Mint State. The Red Book
says that "Proof refers to the method of manufacture and is not the
condition". So if I handed you what looked like a perfect coin, how would
you know if it should be a MS69 or a PF69?

Kim

Have you seen proof coin up close? The modern issues are very easy to
distinguish.
Here is a description of proof I put in my auctions, hope it's not more info
than you want.

P WHAT ARE PROOF COINSPProof coins are specially manufactured for sale
at a premium to collectors. Proofs are generally distinguishable from
ordinary coins by their mirrorlike fields, frosty devices (especially in
recent years) and extra sharp details.P

Each proof coin die is polished to produce an extremely smooth surface and
used for a limited number of coins. Planchets are hand fed to the coin
press, where they are struck at a higher than ordinary pressure. Struck
coins are removed by hand with gloves or tongs. Modern proof coins are
usually packaged in clear plastic to protect them from handling, moisture,
etc.P

For many years the U.S. Mint has sold annual sets of proof coins. These
proof sets usually contain one proof coin of each denomination minted. In
1983, 1984 and 1986-97, Prestige Sets were also sold. Prestige Sets include
all the coins in the regular set, plus one or two commemorative coins issued
the same year. Since 1992, the Mint has also offered Silver Proof Sets,
which include 90% silver versions of the proof dime, quarter(s) and half
dollar. From 1992 through 1998, the Mint also offered a Premier Silver Proof
Set. The two types of silver proof sets contain the same coins, with the
premier set housing them in fancier packaging.P