Old July 21st 03, 03:51 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:30:49 GMT, Bob Ingraham

From: "David F."
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:28:24 +0100
Subject: Moon landing anniversary

Thirty-four years ago today, On July 20, 1969, Commander Armstrong and
fellow astronaut Edwin Aldrin successfully touched down on the lunar
surface. As Armstrong became the first person to step the Moon's surface, he
spoke the unforgettable phrase, "That's one small step for man; one giant
leap for mankind". There has always been some controversy over whether he
meant to say "a man" or just "man".snip

A great reminder of those pioneering days - and I remember it so well! As a
boy
of almost 13 (oops - the truth is out!) I spent every spare moment watching
those
fuzzy monochrome images. I even recorded every word on an old valve
reel-to-reel
tape recorder (no Videos then!).

As for the USA Stamp (nice!) issued on 09/09/1969......
How did they know it was my 13th. Birthday?

David ~{ 8-)

A wonderful, nostalgic film about the first lunar landing, from an
Australian point of view, is The Dish. To quote from Amazon.com, "it's a
true story about the small group of men working at a satellite dish in a
remote section of Australia who, in July 1969, played a major part in
helping to transmit the first live images of a man walking on the moon."

It's got some good science in it, including a snafu that nearly resulted in
us *not* seeing live images of the first moonwalk. There are some great
comedic moments too. All in all, it lives up to what I have come to expect
from Australian films, all of which Hollywood should emulate. Maybe there
are bad Aussie films, but I haven't yet seen one. The Dish is readily
available in video rental places here in Vancouver, in both DVD and VHS.

Stick around. If you look, you can find plenty of Aussie plot /
filmed movies that are the dregs.

Tracy Barber