Old April 3rd 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default Evaluation of Philatelic Websites Revisited

On 4/2/2012 4:40 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
"Terry Reedy" wrote in message
On 4/1/2012 11:29 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
Ten years ago and earlier this was a hot topic on RCSD, being related to
the then Annual FIP Philatelic Website Evaluations.

The interest for this subject revived this year with the exhibition
IPHLA 2012, where the philatelic pages presented on digital media are
accepted again in the competition. Based on my rather long experience in
stamp collecting and in the creation of philatelic web pages, I deal in
my new article with the evolution of philatelic websites, taking a no
nonsense approach to their evaluation.

http://www.pwmo.org/IPHLA/12-evaluation-websites.htm

Your feedback is welcomed.

In your concluding section on the new regulations, you intermix quotes
without quote marks and your comments, both in the same font/style.
This make is hard to read as I had to puzzle out what what quite or
paraphare and what was your comment.

Thank you for commenting.

I have checked in IE & Firefox, on the monitors of two different PCs,
and the difference in font sizes has been obvious. Anyway, I inserted in
the text quotation marks, which should solve the problem on any screens.

Your css says
..style3 {font-size: 10pt} *you use this for quotes*
..style5 {font-size: 14px}

One chart I found says that 10 pt = 13px, (7% difference) but depending
on OS, font, browser. One should probably add: perhaps also depending on
browser settings and screen size and resolution. I have FF, Win7,
1680x1050 screen. In any case, I cannot see a difference, even with
magnification. Same with and without Javascript.

With Javascript on, there is a floating "Front page .... Exhibitions"
bar which bobs up and down when I scroll, returning to a position down
from the top of screen but on top of the text, which scrolls beneath.
This is really annoying. It should either be tied to the top of the
page, under the banner, or to the top of the screen.