Old April 12th 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default storing stamps

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message ...

On 4/12/2012 2:18 PM, Pedro wrote:

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:27:20 +0200, "Pedro"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

Hello friends,
Which is the best way to store thousands of duplicate stamps?, let's say
definitives like Machins or Wildings. Putting them into stockbooks
would be
very expensive, I think. I'd like to know hwat do you do when tackling
the
task of storing so many stamps.

Thanks,
Pedro

Small glassine envelopes of 'index card' size wil hold about 25 in 5
stacks of 5. You can label with a pen and then 'file' in a 'card
drawer', those often found at jumble sales. 100 such glassines
shouldn't cost more than 2 Euro.

which are the aproximate measurements of an index card size glassine
envelope is?
Sorry, I don't know what an index card could mean. Knowing the
measurements will help me find the proper size through ebay.

3 1/2 inches high x 5 inches wide (a bit more than 33x51 cm) is standard
US index card size, for which there are card drawers. The same is also a
standard size for glassines, which fit in the same drawers. Drawers
sometimes come one to a box, sometimes 2 drawers side by side in a box.
I have some of each.

4 x 6 is another card size, and there may be drawers for that too, but I
am sure Rien meant the smaller size, which seems just right for 5 small
definitives across. (I usually just stick things in loose in a jumble.)

tjr

thank you very much for the info, Terry. I'll try to see what I find

regards,
Pedro