Old March 11th 19, 05:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default ROCK-OLA 494

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:49:58 AM UTC-4, Norman Macrae wrote:
On Monday, 11 March 2019 00:15:46 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 1:44:51 PM UTC-4, Norman Macrae wrote:
On Thursday, 28 February 2019 22:57:43 UTC, wrote:
John thanks I found it earlier. I have another problem on this 494 I just finished up. The sound is very tinny. like it's out of phase or something. Like very high distorted treble. I tried different speakers with no change. Replaced the needle with a new good Shure. What are your thoughts on the cartridge being bad? It's wired correctly. If that's not the problem then the amp is going to need re-built. Your thoughts? Thanks!

It could well be out of phase, the cartridge in these should be wired out of phase like AMIs - when you say the cartridge is wired correctly, is that as per diagram?

I have an AMI as well and the cartridge is wired out of phase. On this Rock-Ola it's not wired out of phase as per the manual instructions. The amp needed re-built. It's all back together and sounds good now. Not as good as my AMI but as good as a Rock-Ola.

OK, the previous models (490 series) the cartridge is wired out of phase and the 12 inch loudspeakers sum the two output channels as per AMI. It's the same amp (54510-A) that's used, strange that Rock-Ola should change back. I must confess I don't have a 494 manual though.

This box came with all the papers. Even the inspectors check list before it left the factory. When I was having sound problems I compared it to my AMI and thought I'd found the problem. Then I looked in the manual to double check and saw it was wired correctly not like the AMI. After the amp re-build it sounds good but my AMI sounds so much better.