Old February 19th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Al Jakira

Default Token dealer Steve Tanenbaum killed by NY stabbing suspect

On Feb 13, 3:16*am, Ken Barr wrote:
FYI, noted exonumia dealer and Civil War token expert Steve Tanenbaum
was killed on Friday afternoon after being struck by a car driven by the
suspect in the multiple stabbing case in New York City.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110212/...rime_stabbings

I haven't been traveling to distant shows as much as I used to, so I
haven't seen Steve very often in the past several years, but his table
was always a "must stop" location at any show he set up at. *He was
frequently too busy to just sit down and shoot the breeze with, but
always happy to do so when the business environment permitted. *He'll be
greatly missed both for his knowledge and personality.

His listing on the Civil War Token Society Hall of Fame page:

Stephen L. Tanenbaum

Steve Tanenbaum is considered by many to be the most knowledgeable active
person in the field of Civil War tokens. He has been relied upon for many
decades as a consultant, editor, and contributor to numerous CWT works.
After beginning his CWT collecting journey in 1972, he became a full-time
dealer for tokens in 1981. Steve has handled, purchased, and built some
of the greatest modern-day collections, although he always considers
himself a collector first. He has discovered hundreds of new varieties,
previously unknown die states, and odd mint errors. Steve has been
elected to eight terms on the Board of Governors, and also filled two
partial terms by appointment. He has served as Vice President of the
Society since 2004.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com

I hadn't been in touch with Steve for many years, but had many
dealings with him in the past. I remember him as a consummate
professional. As a dealer, he was always courteous, even when there
were "bumps" in our business relationship. In part, this was because
he understood that courtesy was good business - but it was also *who
he was*. He was also a dedicated researcher of tokens and medals,
always eager to learn more. The few times I was able to give him
information about a token that he didn't already have, he appreciated
it (in his quiet way). His death is a great loss to numismatics.
Al Jakira