Old December 5th 03, 12:14 AM
Bob Peterson

"Somebody" wrote in message
news:lSNzb.557081$6C4.91573@pd7tw1no...
Bob Peterson wrote:

"Barney" wrote in message

(Chris S) wrote in
.com:

Wasn't there a study done in which people indicated a preference for
$1 bills, until they were told how much money dollar coins would save
the taxpayers, at which point the respondents said they favored $1
coins?

--Chris

Yes.

But if told the whole truth about the cost to the private sector to

switch
over, they might well pass.

Maybe, but the private sector switchover is a one time cost; the savings
to the taxpayer is onegoing.

Actually not. Stores have to pay for their cash requirements, and coins
cost them a lot more than bills to get. I am not sure what the cost is in
other areas but store owners around here told me they pay as much as 10
cents a roll for coins from the bank.

Bills cost much less on a one to one basis, and I would be willing to bet
that one dollar bills are things most stores have to buy, as opposed to
getting in change. I could be wrong on this point though. Any store owners
want to comment?