Old March 21st 07, 11:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Default Pelikan M1000 - How many drops does your barrel hold?

LarryW wrote:

The hypo-syringe is a 3 cc; cc measurement in
right column, m in left. 16m=1cc.)

Hi Larry,
Perhaps there's a unit of measure of which I'm not aware (the "m" you refer
to above), but 1 cc is equal to 1 ml.

... With a loop, I noticed that the tines are
not symetrical as they should be. One tine is
slighly narrower and shorter than the other.
It tends to resemble an oblique slightly.

If one tine is shorter than the other, that's a problem. If one tine is
narrower than the other (i.e, the slit is cut a little off center), that
really isn't a problem and lots of nibs exhibit this imperfection.

Anyway, I'll return it. Truthfully I can't
really tell how much writing I get out of a
fill. I just thought that it should look
filled through the window similar to the MB.
The MB's chamber completely fills whereas the
M1000 you can not visually see the ink.

Well, you definitely should see ink when you look into the ink-view window.
In fact, the entire window should appear black when the pen is filled. If
you tip the pen, you may see an air bubble in there, but that's normal. When
you fill the pen, make sure you submerse the entire nib.... In fact,
submerse it far enough to cover about a third of the section as well.

It's possible that the overall size of the
M1000 does not gurantee it will hold any more
in than the smaller pens. Right now, my
greatest concern is to get a nice smooth
glide. My letters rarely exceed 3 pages and I
haven't run dry yet.

I don't know how many pages you should be able to write with a fill, but a
single fill of one of my 400s will last me days and I write a lot (many
pages of notes per day). -- B