Old October 4th 03, 08:22 PM
R. M. Craig

While lost memberships do represent a large number, and for the sake of
discussion I'll accept 175,000, they do not make a universal statement that
the ANA is failing to the degree suggested by that number.

A high number of those members are not really serious about collecting or
lost the interest indpendent of any ANA influence.
Some, but not all are a considered vote against membership.

The CNA has similar stats ......gift memberships courtesy R C Mint promos
too often die after one year, but I suggest many of those could not be saved
even with a "perfect" parent association.........not everyone who
experiments with our hobby sticks to it.

Please note I lost my 2 favourite columns in the new Numismatist, so I have
my disenchantment too, but to use one rather off the wall statistic to make
a universal conclusion is I think a bit much........

If I may express a personal reaction to both ANA and CNA memberships where
"value received" is concerned, I stay with them almost purely for social
reasons.......being in contact through a common medium with others who share
my obsessions.

rmc