Old July 18th 04, 08:55 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

Default Redesigned $1 Bill?

I know people get tired of these posts about the $1 bill redesign over and over
again but I heard a rumor on the wheregeorge.com website someone posted that
went like this:

"Yesterday I was speaking to a manager of local McDonalds. He said that a bank
teller he spoke with told him two strange things that I don't believe:

1 - Bill cleaning:
Banks will be cleaning bills soon. Any writing or stamps on bills will be
cleaned off in a solution of some kind. I highly doubt banks would take the
time to clean every bill with writing of some kind on them. (How many bills do
you come across with numbers or letters written on them?)

2 - Redesign of the $1bill:
The portrait will be changed to be similar to the other bills and color
security features will be added to the $1 bill. The last I read, the BEP was
not planning on changing the $1 bill as it was not counterfeited enough to
warrent the extra costs.

I know I should consider the source (no offense to any fast food managers), but
has anyone heard about either of these two changes planned for the $1 bill?"

What do you guys think of these rumors? I thought it was interesting, but doubt
its true. I could see redesigning the $1 bill ( and $2 bill) to match the
higher denominations (large portrait, simple boarder, and low-vision numeral),
but I can't see them adding the color.

Tom