Old January 15th 04, 09:29 AM
John Wilson

Htn963 wrote:

the use of the USPS's priority mail boxes, even old ones,
for any other use than their eponymous function is
definitely a violation of the rules.

Would this apply to mail sent from abroad? I frequently receive
packages here in Japan in US global priority packaging, and just as
frequently recycle that packaging when sending packages abroad, often
- though not always - to the US.

I sometimes turn the packages inside out, and in any case much of the
surface area tends to be concealed by the thick brown paper tape I
generally wrap them with, but the packaging is still fairly easily
identifiable. Sometimes, of course, I do ship such items by EMS (which
is trackable via the USPS global priority online tracker service, so I
presume it is in partnership), but I also send such packages by
regular airmail. I have never had a recipient complain that they were
charged at a higher rate or received notice from any quarter that
anything was amiss.

Have I merely been lucky, or can I continue to send packages in this
way without worrying about it?

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com