Old June 20th 08, 09:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

Default Needed: Ink Recommendations for Sheaffer Nonsense Fountain Pen!

On 2008-06-20, Brian Ketterling wrote:
In ,
MatthewK wrote:

I think it is all Mortimer J. Adler's fault.

Really? Why is that? The name rang a bell, but I had to look him up. He
wasn't a champion of liberal education?

I think he is deceased now but he was a Cambridge professor and
one of the editors behind the Britanica Great books of the Western
World collection.

His idea of a liberal arts education is studying the great
books. The book he is most well known for is "How to Read a
Book" which is a primer for reading the great books. He spoke
out alot against the current educational system. He has said in
more or less direct terms that modern academia is largely
illiterate, particulary when compared to medieval scholars. The
reason being the latter could get the most out of a book
possible. Reading was the only source of education they most
often had.

He was also part of a philospy think tank of sorts. I think in
addition to teaching classes he wrote about ten books. At
Cambridge I think he taught philosophy and literature. He
started teaching in the 1930's and the first version of "How to
Read a Book" came out in the 40's. I think the old version is
a better read than the new one. He was more "radical" and spoke
in very plain terms.

Even by todays standards his views are pretty radical about the
educational system. Even so I think some of my professors would
agree with him.

matthew