Old September 7th 04, 09:02 PM
note.boy

Prices ending in 95 or 99 are used to prevent shop staff pocketing the
money handed over by customers as they have to open the till to give the
1 or 5 change.

Items sold in round amounts would not require the till to be opened to
give change thus giving the shop staff more opportunities to pocket the
cash. Billy

"A.E. Gelat" wrote:

Does anyone know where the use of prices ending in .95 or .99 started? I
consider this a method of misleading simple-minded people who are apt to see
79.99 as a price in the seventies, not the $80 it really is, if one ignores
the missing penny. My first recollection of this was prices in French
advertisements.

Tony

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On 06 Sep 2004 13:01:08 GMT, (JSTONE9352) wrote:

I have a hard time understanding the mindset behind this. $8.95?
that is just insane.

&rd=1

Not that difficult:

$3.85 to post the package
$5.10 to courrier the package to the post office

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.