Old March 17th 04, 10:12 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Mark Usher wrote:

I was wondering what the general consensus of opinion is regarding
uncut pages.

Purely from a book-collecting point of view, there is a slight preference
for uncut pages, but it doesn't make that big a difference.

I recently acquired a book where all the pages are at the top,
uncut. This makes the book unusable, and I would like to use it.

Gasp! You mean...you want to *read* it?!

Should I cut the uncut pages or should I try and acquire another copy.

There are different opinions about this. One is that even collectible books
were made to be read. The other is that you buy reading copies for reading
and collectible copies for collecting. You have to weigh up the pros and
cons and decide.

If I cut the pages, what would be the best way to do this.
By carefully sanding the top edge with fine sandpaper,

No.

or cutting the block with a gullotine type device,

No.

or use a razor blade on each individual page from the inside out.

No.

The closest you get is the last suggestion, but with a sharp blade there is
a serious risk that the blade will slip and cut the page at the wrong place,
not where the fold is. Use a blunter instrument. That way the paper will
separate at the point of least resistance (i.e., along the fold). If your
fist cut isn't complete, you might perhaps use a sharper blade to cut the
last half-inch or so, close to the hinge.

Of course, a sharp blade - when it doesn't slip - will give a cleaner cut
than a very blunt blade, which will effectively tear, rather than cut the
paper. You need to use something which is sharp enough to give a reasonably
clean cut but blunt enough not to slip and cut in the wrong place. A credit
card or table knife would be too thick, but a photocopy card or a blade of
equivalent thickness would do a good job. It's worth taking some sheets of
paper and folding them up and practising with them first, to get the feel of
it, before embarking on the real thing.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com