Old January 31st 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson

Default Shill Bidding on eBay

Calvin wrote in message
oups.com...

This eBay seller had a reserve. When I asked him about the item
conditions, he told me the reserve was at, i.e. $300. I put in my
maximum bid at $311, considering the item value.

When the bidding closed, there were 2 other bidders, one at $120 and
the other one at $299. The second bidder has (0) bid history! He and
the seller signed up with eBay about 2 months apart, more than 2 years
ago. The seller did not have any eBay activities in the last 14
months.

Since this seems like a typical shill bidding, I reported the issue to
eBay 3 days ago and received an automatic reply from eBay saying they
consider shill bidding a "serious" violation and they will investigate
the report within 24 hours. . . .
1. How do you folks handle eBay shill bidding problem ? If I do not
pay, the seller can leave me a negative feedback. My current feedback
is 100%.

This inquiry seems to confuse two issues.
#1 = This item. Calvin bid what he thought was a
fair price, and knew was 4 per cent over the reserve
price. He now considers declining to make the purchase.
#2 = Shill bidding.

However deplorable, if either of the other bids here was
from a shill, it could not have bought the item for sale,
because less than the reserve price. Calvin remains
the only bidder over the reserve price.

This means, if Calvin now is reluctant to compete the
purchase, he would need a reason acceptable to eBay.
Is he seeking the reason from RCB users?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs