Old August 9th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
AlexBivin

Default What is a cameo finish?

Phil DeMayo wrote:
AlexBivin wrote:

As Bruce has already mentioned, the CAM of DCAM/UCAM designations are
usually found on proof coins. The only exception to this rule that I
have thus far found, is in SMS coinage from 1965-67......

You are forgetting early Morgan dollars which can exhibit quite heavy
cameo finishes.

Ah yes, how could I forget! I am sure there are others I have
overlooked as well. The Morgans in question are labeled as DMPL (deep
mirror proof like), just for those new to collecting and not familiar
with cameo contrast. Here is a question, as stated before, DCAM, CAM
and DMPL aren't grades per say, so they can be applied to any coin that
exhibits that particular propery (in theory). So has anyone ever seen
other coins (other than Morgans) designated DMPL?