Old August 31st 04, 04:16 AM
Jon Meyers

"gr" wrote...
This seems to be the correct newsgroup to ask this question, please
direct me elsewhere if I have chosen incorrectly.

I have an equipment manual, printed on semi glossy paper (similar to
magazines) and it has gotten wet in the past (and are now completely
dry) so that the pages in the center 2/3 are completely stuck together.
What is the best procedure to separate these pages so they become
readable again?

Steam. If you have a teakettle or a steam humidifier, those work well, but
a small pot of boiling water will also do the job. Being careful not to
burn your fingers, hold the affected pages of the book over the steam for a
few moments and then *slowly* and *gently* work the pages apart one at a
time. You may have to use repeated applications of steam to complete each
separation. When the pages are completely separated, place the book with
the pages fanned out so they can dry (or they will, of course, get stuck
together again).

Note: This is *not* recommended for valuable (however you choose to define
that term) books, which should be dealt with by a professional if at all.
The steaming will leave the treated pages and surrounding pages wavy and
puffy. But if you only need to restore something as a reading copy,
steaming is okay. And did I mention to be careful not to burn your fingers?

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose