Old September 14th 14, 02:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default The European Stamp of the Year

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message
On 9/10/2014 12:07 PM, Victor Manta wrote:

Again a similar type of problem. On my page:

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...ine-colors.htm

maybe you can help
me on the subject of the presumed restoration of Sistine Madonna.

We have no particular knowledge. However, I used google translate
on "sistine madonna raphael restoration" to get the German "Sixtinische
Madonna raphel Restaurierung". Searching for that gave as first hit a May
2012 German news article that was pretty obviously a discussion of its
restoration.
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleto...-11767213.html

translate.google.com gives a slightly mangled English version of

"As the Sistine Madonna was confronted for the Pope's visit last year with
the Madonna di Foligno, she made no good impression. The arrived from the
Vatican Raphael Madonna, almost simultaneously painted like the Sistine
Chapel, was recently restored and looked in their motley colors, as if she
had just left the studio of the painter genius. The Sistine Chapel,
however we noticed suddenly how she had aged. What to do? Should they also
rejuvenate cosmetically and remove their layers of varnish? The Dresden
restorers decided against a fashionable lifting, and their conservatism
deserves respect. Restorations without risk does not exist. Maintaining
the old varnish layer meant, of course, to take the slightly grizzled
appearance of the Sistine Chapel in purchasing. Art dealers call graphs
that look like this, "not fresh" - not so fresh was now the Sistine
Chapel."

When another (restored) Raphael Madonna was exhibited next to the Dresden
version, the latter looked pretty bad. So Dresden restorers cleaned it up,
but did not remove all old varnish.

Thank you very much Terry! The page was very helpful, and even more to me
because I'm fluent in German.

Therefore I improved the pages:

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...na-awarded.htm
http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...ine-colors.htm

and I gave you on them the credits that you fully deserve.

Many thanks again, and I hope to meet you soon again on this rather
depopulated newsgroup.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/