Old January 15th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Default Waternan Hemisphere Problems

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

What you think about these reviews?

Well, the first thing that occurred to me was that I wish I had **that
much** discretionary time on my hands.

There is something wrong with some Montblanc inks,
but I still find some of them interesting, at least
that Racing Green. *DROOL*

Wrong in what sense? I've been a member of a couple of
listserves/newsgroups (particularly Zoss and acpp)for 10 years of so,
and I've never run across any reports of mold or anything like that in
MB ink. Some people may find this or that color too washed out or this
or that color too slow flowing in their pen(s), but that doesn't mean
it's bad ink. The on-line pen community doesn't give Quink
particularly high marks either, but it's darn good ink. Some inks are
poorly made, though. For example, OMAS's Blue-Black, now discontinued,
which could double as joint compound. Something would precipitate out
of that ink and form globs of gelatinous crud that would harden as it
dried. Bad stuff. I still have a couple of bottles of it if you're
building a house and need something to seal the walls of the basement.

That is iron gall ink. It is not very eternal ink.
It will slowly eat paper. After many years you'll
have that paper filled with holes and those holes
are in the shape of those letters you wrote.

Well, you know, there are many, many documents that were written in
iron gall ink that have survived for centuries. MB's iron gall ink
isn't exactly the same as the old iron gall you mention in your post,
so it will probably fare better. But, frankly, who cares. There's
nothing I'm writing now (including published professional writing)
that will be of any interest to anyone hundreds of years from now. If
I wanted it to survive that long, I wouldn't write it on paper... I'd
chisel it into stone or somethin'.

Have you ever had problem called "Montblanc bomb"?
Have you ever had ink in gripping section?

Not at all. As I mentioned earlier, the Boehme's been filled
continuously for several years, and it has always behaved itself. None
of my other MBs have done that either. The author of that post you
linked to should have had someone take a look at the cap of his 149 to
see what was up with it. Sounds like a problem with air equalization
or something (maybe plugged vents?). MBs aren't the only pens that
ooze ink onto the nibs. Pelikans also do this. Occasionally cleaning
the inside of the cap with a damp cloth to clear out any ink that's
dried in there helps. The Waterman Edson, btw, is known to lose the
gold plating on metal V shaped piece that's attached to the section.

If I were rich man, I would buy some Montblanc
Meisterstück 149 -fountain pen, but I would not
carry it on my pocket or backpack. I would keep it
on a pen cup. I would use it only when writing in
front of my table.

The 149 is too big for me. The Boehme travels with me all the time. I
love the thing. It's not perfect, and like most modern pens it's
overpriced, but it's a nice little pen. If I had to choose between it
and a Parker 51 Demi, I'd choose the Demi. If I had to choose between
it and a Pilot Capless Decimo, I'd choose the Decimo. But if I had to
choose between the Boehme and a bunch of other pens in it's price
range, I'd probably go with the Boehme. -- B