Old October 12th 03, 05:25 PM
Ankaaz

Reid wrote: "The definition of electrum as a gold and silver alloyed with at
least 20 percent silver is a standard. Everybody uses the word this way,
scholars as well as collectors. Well, except Michael."

And some experts in metallurgy. For those of you who aren't subscribers to The
Celator, here is the excerpt pertaining to Reid's comment above:

"Some metallurgists call any alloy of silver and gold 'electrum.' By that
standard, the British sovereign is electrum. Most United States 'gold' coins
qualify as electrum issues." Michael later states that classical electrum may
not meet the needs of the modern world.

Reid: "Ever since the first century A.D. Roman naturalist and writer Pliny in
his Natural History (33.80-1) defined electrum as gold alloyed naturally or
artificially with 20 percent or more silver, scholars have used this
definition."

Scholars that adhere to Pliny's definition, that is... Pliny also wrote that
porcupines shoot out their quills when provoked. His many observations should
be taken with a grain of salt. In my opinion, his use of the fraction 1/5 was
purely arbitrary. (What would you call an issue containing 19% silver?) For
the sake of expediency, the term "electrum" has been applied generically to any
gold/silver alloy, no matter what the ratio. It simplifies things, don't you
think? You yourself have admitted on more than one occasion that language
changes.

According to Isadore of Seville, my brooch from the Baltic is "electrum." I
prefer to call it amber.

Marotta's was a good article, informative and comprehensive. I'm sure you
agree.

Anka Z
Co-president of the once thriving, but now defunct, Tommy John Fan Club.
Go, Lake County Captains!