Old October 31st 03, 08:58 PM
Scorpio Chick

(Saler) wrote in message . com...
Let me clarify, I am a publisher of a well received newspaper called
The Garage Sale Weekender reporting on the second hand economy.

I have had resistance (not sure if this is the right term) from many
of the local antique stores/malls when asked if they would like to
advertise their in our FREE paper. I have heard from "It's not our
market" to "It's like telling our targeted client to go and purchase
on eBay"

Sounds like you're trying to merge two different markets in one paper
under the wrong title. Garage sales and antique stores are totally
different markets, with very little crossover. I would guess that the
reason a lot of the antique dealers aren't interested in advertising
is the name of your paper, which suggests that you focus only on the
yard sale/garage sale (low end) rather than the high end (antiques,
identified collectables).

When a shopper goes to an antique store, they're not just payng for
the piece, they're paying for the knowledge that the seller has about
it and its history, the cleaning and restoration (if any), and a
precise assessment of its value. A garage sale shopper might find a
great antique at a yard sale, but they'll need to research it, get it
assessed, and possibly restore it - all things that are part of the
service provided (and charged for) by an antique shop.

Antiques buffs are normally looking for knowledge, and are willing to
pay for it. Garage sale shoppers are looking more for a low price.
Since antique stores are in the business of making money, they aren't
interested in the garage salers market.

As somebody who owns a lot of antiques and who also goes to the
occasional yard sale/flea market, I'd pick up your paper if I was
interested in garage sales or flea markets based on the title, but I
wouldn't likely think of it as a resource for antique stores.

My suggestion is to change the name and divide it into two sections -
one for antiques/collectables and one for yard sales.

- ScorpioChick