Old May 16th 05, 04:37 PM
stonej

Paul Anderson wrote:
I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a

White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and

competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.

One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people

think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.

It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.

Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I guess I know why it happens, but it never ceases to amuse me.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

They think that because they usually see so few of them that they think
they are scarce and will be valuable some day. If they would take the
stuff to a coin dealer they would be greatly disappointed of course.

I have no illusions of great future value but I like to collect AOL
discs in their various packaging. I don't know how many I have but it
is a lot of them. Just picked up one at Burger King for AOL 9.0
promoting
the new Star Wars movie. It will be interesting to see how many
different ones I can find over the years.

One person has around 1000 different ones and there is some collector
demand as they are being sold on Ebay.