Old March 30th 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Harry F. Leopold

Default Recommended mechanical pencil

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:28:47 -0500, pavane wrote
(in article ):

"BL" wrote in message

"Covad" wrote:
Please provide your recommendations of the
best mechanical pencils in the $10 - $50
price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking
down.

Thanks!
Elliot Berlin

If you don't mind one that takes .9mm lead, buy an old Parker 51
mechanical pencil---one of the later ones, 1948 or after. -- B

Second that choice, superb instruments.

I just got my Parker 51 two weeks ago, the pen was made in 1950 and the
pencil was made in 1949. I really like both, very well made and very smooth
nib, the pencil is very solid and well made.

BTW - thanks BL for mentioning the size of lead it uses, looks like I need to
take a trip to my supplier for the proper size this weekend.

I am glad I decided to go ahead and get both the 51 and the Pelikan 140, I
got the black model Pelikan and a dark gray 51. They have become two of my
favorite pens since I got them. The Pelikan nib is a nicely flexible near
medium, just a touch scratchy compared to the 51, but it sure writes purty.

--
Harry F. Leopold
The Prints of Darkness

³We don't just borrow words; on occasion English has pursued other languages
down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
vocabulary."-James D. Nicoll