Old July 23rd 05, 10:43 PM
Bob E.

Pin Geek wrote:

Hi all,
I bought one of these at http://www.sledworks.com/ a few months back,
hooked it up recently, and it sounds great.
Anyway, can someone tell me from this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

What year was this speaker manufactured?

Interestingly, the year is not indicated in the Always Jukin' price
guide. It would appear to be Wurlitzer's first stereo speakers, so
that would put it no earlier than 1958 (when "a few stereo units may
have been produced" of the 2200/2204 series). The script seems to
resemble that used on the 2200 as well. The half-cylinder shaped
model 5125 speaker has a "W" on the grille that matches the style
of the grille ornament on the 1959 2300/2304/2310, so I am guessing
that narrows the year of your speaker (model 5123) down even further,
unless they overlapped in production.

One way to zero in on the date, if yours has the original speaker
(or if it has a volume control pot, and that is original) would be
to look at the source code that is probably stamped on the speaker
(or the pot). Depending on what else is inside there (a switch? a
capacitor?) there may be source or date codes on them as well.

Now for a surprise: A very good source and date code interpreter has
been put on a web site for electric guitars, created by the same
fellow (Clay Harrell) that created the eternally useful pinball
repair site at the Marvin 3M site. You can find it at:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)