Old August 30th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) A Question To The Newsgroup About A Freebie Stamp Project Idea

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:23:05 -0700, malcolm
wrote:

General collectors would be glad to rummage through anything. I always
find the search much more interesting than the find !

Absolutely. My biggest find, to date, was an absolute junk box with 3
stamps that are in decent condition, totally $1000 CV. One was a
Hawaii Inter island, which I may get expertised. A little dirty, but
collectible to be sure.

Perhaps you could start a thread - "Lucky Dip Exchange" - your junk
for my junk !

Heh! In a sense, it may be "junk", but at least it's cleaner "junk".
:^) Actually, there may be many different varieties found therein. A
veritable trove of flyspecking.

If only domestic postage rates are involved it has to be worth a throw
- international postage makes it an expensive pastime though.

That seems to be the ONLY catch here. If this were to be a regular
occurrence, postage will soar to double / three times what it is now
for a #10 envelope.

I have
had parcels of junk before and among all the dross I have always found
some unconsidered trifle which makes it worthwhile. To be sure not all
batches of "junk" are the same, but I have never had anything which is
a complete waste of time.

Sorting has been a great way for my eyes to work on adjusting better -
together - than other activities. Right now, they're different far
away and also different close up. I'll never get my 20 / 20 back,
even with corrective measures.

The only glasses that work about right are my computer glasses. I see
"about the same" and truly worked hard on a prescription for those.
Looking at stamps, however, I have to take them off and constantly
re-focus.

I've also noticed that, for example, with my Belgian RR stamps, that
one batch may be totally different from another for cancels, even
though the stamps are common. This makes the chase even better.

I have been keeping booklet pane singles and other varieties when I
find them with decent margins or corner positions. They'll never
exceed minimal CV, but they may look kind of cool to recreate a small
pane, albeit without plating.

Precancels, perfins, perforation varieties are always cool items.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I still have to finalize how
I'd do this.

Tracy