Old October 13th 03, 02:05 AM
Jerry Morris

Tom wrote and I snipped:
I am collection antiquarian editiosn, like Arabia Deserta, with the

Arabs in tent and twon etc.
Cheers,
Tom L-M

Tom,

Sonnenschein's Best Books recommends the following bibliography that was
first published in 1875, and reprinted in 1998. It contains listings of
3696 books pertaining to Africa and Arabia. I hope you can read the
French text, though. You can find some bibliographies in English by
searching the words travel, bibliography, and arabia on abebooks.

=A0Gay Jean=A0Bibliographie des Ouvrages Relatifs a L'Afrique et a
L'Arabie Catalogue Methodique de tous les ouvrages francais & des
principaux en langues etrangeres traitant de la Geographie, de
l'Histoire, du Commerce, des Lettres & des Arts de l'Afrique & de
l'Arabie.
.................................................. .

(John=A0Yamamoto-Wilson)
Jerry Morris wrote:
I recently acquired the Autobiographical Sketch...and Bibliography
of..Edwin Wolf 2nd, Philadelphia,1991, from Colophon Bookshop...

I don't have much to say about that, except that it caught my eye
because the most valuable book in my collection
(
http://pweb.sophia.ac.jp/~j-yamamo/Hours/index.html) has Wolf's "EW2"
on the front free endpaper.
--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

John,

A hell of a provenance! After spending thirty years with the Library
Company, not to mention his years with Rosenbach before that, ee
prabably had an awesome library; yet, he makes no mention of his own
books in his autobiography.

Another EW2 anecdote from his autobiography! As World War II was
winding down, Wolf found himself in Gulda, Germany as a Special Agent
in the Counter-Intelligence Corps (American Gestapo). Being a bookman,
he decided to see if Gulda's Gutenberg Bible and its Illuminated
manuscripts from the twelth-century had survived the bombings. Although
the library had been hit, the librarian told Wolf that the treasures had
been dispersed to the vicars in the villages for safekeeping. He
convinced the librarian that the books would be safer in a bank vault,
was told where the books were hidden, and deposited them in the bank
vault. In 1982 he returned to Fulda and saw many of the books he had
recovered on display in their exhibition cases. A local reporter called
him "Der Retter' der Gutenberg-Bibel."

..........too bad, we didn't have an EW2 in Iraq eh?

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn