Old October 12th 03, 08:23 PM
Tom L-M

Thanks for the great info Jerry. I will look into the scarecrow Greene
bibliography soon.

Mid East Travel

I am collection antiquarian editiosn, like Arabia Deserta, with the Arabs in
tent and twon etc.

Cheers,

Tom L-M

(Writing an essay on Frankenstein, hence short reply)

"Jerry Morris" wrote in message
(Tom L-M) wrote:
I finally took the plunge and bought my first bibliography, the new
O'Brian: T.E Lawrence, new, for a bargain price of 36 pounds. At a
whopping 894 pages it contains oodles of information - I love it, have
found books that I own, but didnt have in my Lawrence collection have
references too him!
Anyway, I have had a taste and am tempted to purchase another for either
my Greene collection, or perahaps my new topic of Middle Eastern Travel.
So, can anyone recomend an edition of either of the above?
Many thanks,
Tom L-M

Tom,

Welcome to my world, the world of books about books!

I'm a little confused here. There's a bookseller on abebooks who has a
1998 Graham Greene bibliography listed for $190; however, the same
bibliography, by the same author (Brennen), and with the same number of
pages (380), is listed on the Oxford University Press website for sixty
quid, but it isn't due out until January,2004. Go figger.

Scarecrow Press published a bibliography on Graham Greene in 1981 which
is 401 pages long and is relatively inexpensive. Since Graham Greene
was a Catholic Convert, perhaps Bill Klimon might be aware of the
usefulness of this bibliography. The fact that Scarecrow Press was the
publisher already says something good about the book.

Another source is the 1996 Sotheby's Graham Greene Auction Catalogue and
Bibliography, featuring 226 lots of the collection of Charles Ives
Sullyan Jr..
http://www.canoe.ca/JamBooksFeatures/greene_graham.html

I recently acquired the Autobiographical Sketch...and Bibliography
of..Edwin Wolf 2nd, Philadelphia,1991, from Colophon Bookshop. I wanted
it because I was impressed with his biography of Rosenbach, and wanted
more. In his autobiography, Wolf mentions that Oxford University Press
was supposed to be the publisher of the biography. Wolf personally typed
1200 pages, but Oxford said it was too long. He turned in 800 typed
pages, and Oxford still said it was too long. He had such people as
Donald and Mary Hyde, and Frederick Adams read portions of it; they told
him not to abridge it any further. Somehow, William Targ, at World
Publishing got wind of it, and the rest is history.
The published version, incidentally, had 618 pages.

I mention the anecdote above because Oxford's Graham Greene bibliography
has less pages than the Scarecow Press edition which was published over
twenty years ago. Are the Oxford editors misers when it comes to the
amount of pages? In defense of Oxford, this policy may not apply to
bibliographies. They did not spare the ink when they publsihed
Fleeman's Bibliogaphy of the Works of Samuel Johnson in 2000. There are
a total of 1972 page in the two massive volumes.

Middle Eastern Travel

Are you collecting modern editions of Middle Eastern Travel or
antiquarian editions?

JerryMorris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and