Old August 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Jim Wild

Default Morgan dollars....

I understand now, how these Morgans are a coveted collection. I have an
interest in starting a collection of these in the future. However some
of these dates are just unreal. I was wondering why I could not find a
place that actually has 1892-1895 for sale. Well, no wonder! I went to
the PCGS price list to have a look at some of these things. The 1892-S
is listed at $225,000 in MS-66. Yikes! The 1895-P has a mintage of
12,880 according to the red book. The 1895-P is not even listed in PCGS.
Does that coin actually exist? Then between 1905 and 1920,,, there are
none. Why did they mint the 1921 after a 14 year break?

I do want a small collection of these beautiful coins. They are $22.00
or so for UNC 'P' mints in Coin World. I can deal with that. I suppose I
will just get a Whitman album with a couple blank dollar pages and fill
them with the P mints. (18 total) My local coin dealer told me that the
Whitman folders do not hold the coins properly. They fall out of their
ports easily. I believe in starting a collection and trying finishing
the book or at least 95% of it. But the CC's and 1892-1895's are more
than I care to deal with. Does anyone have a partial Morgan collection?
But with this coin collecting, I suppose that there are no rules, just
like cooking chili.

Jim