Old August 10th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.collecting.juke-boxes
KR

Default New eBay photo policy?

On Aug 11, 5:42*am, John Robertson wrote:
I just got a note from a friend pointing out an apparently new
unannounced auto-opt-in that eBay has instituted (or perhaps I missed
the notice...(right)).

What it appears to be is that eBay can use any of your pictures as follows:

"Share your Photos * * * * Show *Consider photos I upload in the listing
process for inclusion in the eBay product catalog and other product
offerings."

His concern was that other eBay users could use his pictures to sell
their products, and even if not, the loss of control for your pictures
as I see it. There is a copyright notice that does state you contributed
the image though.

This setting (which you can change to "NO!") is located in your "My
Ebay" - "Account" - "Site Preferences" - "Share your Photos".

I turned it off...

You may want to read the following as well (this is from the opt-out page):

"(If you opt-out before August 31, 2009, none of your photos will be
considered for inclusion in this program unless you opt back in at a
later time. If you opt-out after August 31, 2009, any photos we select
for inclusion in this program prior to your opt-out may continue to be
used in the catalog)"

Yet another reason I am unlikely to use eBay to sell my products.

John :-#(#
--
* * (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
* John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9

Must be a US thing, this option isnt even shown on Australian Ebay.

In fact, most of the other settings there are locked to "yes" and cant
be changed