Showing results 1 to 25 of 74
Search took 0.27 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jay T. Carrigan
Forum: General Discussion October 2nd 08, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 2
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Images of WW I Belgian Stamps Needed

Here you go, Stan.

http://www.jaypex.com/Belgium/BE120-21.jpg

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,...
Forum: General Discussion September 14th 08, 06:26 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 2
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Book Recommendation for Stamp Collection Appraisal

http://www.inheritedstampcollection.com/

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
Forum: General Discussion September 6th 08, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 16
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Help ID, please

RADA means "Council", so the inscription at top is
"Ukrainian National Council". The building is the
Kyiv Opera House.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In...
Forum: General Discussion September 4th 08, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 16
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Help ID, please

Rodney's stamp is from a set of 6 issued Dec. 1, 1948 by the
Ukrainian National Council in Munich for use in Ukrainian DP
Camps in Germany.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
Forum: General Discussion August 23rd 08, 06:11 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Russsian Matroskie? Free Military Frank

"Matros" means "Sailor" in Russian (and several other languages).

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article 2008082220315716807-biglou@biglounet,...
Forum: General Discussion August 20th 08, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 20
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Germany: AMG

I seriously doubt that APS can properly expertize ANY
German cancels. Perhaps if Harold Peter examines your
AMGs they might get some of them right, but APS will
not disclose in advance who will...
Forum: General Discussion July 31st 08, 08:37 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Censor "skips"

I imagine that different censoring operations used somewhat different
protocols, but most essentially operated as follows.

1. Watch lists of suspicious senders and addressees - always censored.
2....
Forum: General Discussion July 12th 08, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
FINNLAND: the 1901/03russian designs finish values set!

In a few hours I leave for a vacation, and I don't have
time right now to prepare a decent answer. I also won't
have newsgroup access while I'm gone.

If you don't get an answer in the next 10 days...
Forum: General Discussion July 8th 08, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 7
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Indonesian pre-independence stamps

I googled "Prangko catalog" and found a few interesting sites,
especially http://www.vanstamp.com/. This site offers a
downloadable catalog "Revolutionary Stamps of Indonesia
1945-1949"and also...
Forum: General Discussion July 7th 08, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
British Field Post Offices

Proud's "History of British Army Postal Service", Vol. III
1927-1963, only goes up to FPO 1063.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article...
Forum: General Discussion June 27th 08, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Indonesia ID

Scott began listing these in the 2008 edition. Check with
your friendly local public library.

This was announced in a very informative article in the
July 2007 issue of Scott Stamp Monthly.

Forum: General Discussion June 25th 08, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 19
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Looking for two stamps with theme...

Yugoslavia issued two stamps (March 27 & April 7 1999)
showing both a target and the word TARGET. This was
during the time when the US & NATO was bombing them.

Jay Carrigan change...
Forum: General Discussion June 16th 08, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Hungary 1 Pengo Revenue Stamp

Issued April 1, 1934 - 11 years before the start of the inflation.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,...
Forum: General Discussion June 12th 08, 05:31 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 33
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
More stamp chat?

I know it's the wrong group for this, but contact me
offline if you're interested in the five volume set
"The Plating of Alphabet III" or a Fisher-Brown "The
Plating of the Penny" Vol. 1 (Die 1,...
Forum: General Discussion June 10th 08, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 6
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Is there a list off all the countrys, etc that issued stamps

This list is fairly complete, but you have to select
one country at a time:

http://www.asfe.dk/index01.asp

If you want to start slow, this list is straightforward
and ONLY has about 5,000...
Forum: General Discussion May 31st 08, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 33
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
More stamp chat?

Off the top of my head:

www.virtualstampclub.com
www.stamporama.com
chatboards.ebay.com
www.rfrajola.com
groups.msn.com
groups.yahoo.com

I'm sure there are many more that I've forgotten.
Forum: General Discussion May 10th 08, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Germany Scott 76,79

The bottom inscriptions are in different fonts,
plus the rays in the background are different.

Scott 76 - old style gothic font, diagonal rays
Scott 79 - like Times New Roman, horizontal rays

If...
Forum: General Discussion April 9th 08, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 8
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
West German(pre-unification) postmarks

Google is your friend. (But you have to prefix the postcode
with D- and search only German pages.)

2807 = Achim (Bz Bremen)
4223 = Voerde (Niederrhein)

Jay Carrigan change domain to...
Forum: General Discussion March 6th 08, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
German Postkrieg

Nonsense. IMO this is a very nice Postkrieg item.

Addressed to the Soviet Zone from West Berlin, plus
return address and dispatch postmark from Bln-Lankwitz
(after the June 25, 1948 start of the...
Forum: General Discussion February 21st 08, 06:22 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 7
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
How to extract a postmark from a stamp for study?

Try the "Magic Eraser" (right click the eraser tool and
select the Magic Eraser Tool option.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article...
Forum: General Discussion February 20th 08, 06:35 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Belgium 1934 Lion on Shield

Google "blink comparator".

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
Forum: General Discussion February 12th 08, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 6
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
Help With Portuguese Colonies

I agree with Tracy - this is a HUGE task. For basic
information on papers and perfs (and that's all I'm
interested in) I find the Afinsa catalogs to be perfect.

Fortunately APRL has the Afinsa...
Forum: General Discussion January 27th 08, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
German/Danish Handwriting

Thanks, Mette. That helps a lot. As you might guess, I've
finally started to work on my collection of internment camp
mail. It's quite possible I'll have a few morw questions.

Jay Carrigan ...
Forum: General Discussion January 26th 08, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
German/Danish Handwriting

I think I got most of it - V???flyvepladsen. Possibly
the word begins Vand.... Is Vandflyvepladsen the name
of anything near Aalborg?

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
Forum: General Discussion January 26th 08, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Jay T. Carrigan
German/Danish Handwriting

I'm having trouble reading the first word on the
second line of this return address on an internment
camp cover. The sender is German.

See http://www.jaypex.com/Denmark/Camps/Address.jpg.

Does...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 74