Showing results 1 to 25 of 35
Search took 1.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Tollan
Forum: General Discussion June 12th 10, 10:07 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 8
Posted By John Tollan
Stamps we should resist/avoid

It works OK for me!

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")

Rein wrote:
Victor,

the Excessive Stamps link in
http://www.pwmo.org/articles/resist-and-avoid-stamps.htm
Forum: General Discussion December 1st 09, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 30
Posted By John Tollan
My son really wants to start collecting stamps

Regarding ROBBILLOWS, please read
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15594

He May not be what he seems!

John

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")
Forum: General Discussion April 3rd 09, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

I was always impressed with her gentleness and her constant ability to
find the kind word and the helpful phrase.
She was a rare creature indeed, and we are the richer for having had her
as a...
Forum: General Discussion February 24th 09, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 0
Posted By John Tollan
Australia Registration Label query:

rodney wrote:
I have a hand written Registration label (R6)
with "Marathon"
Any ideas ?

The town of Marathon, NSW?
Forum: General Discussion January 27th 09, 05:39 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By John Tollan
First Day Covers

thedarkman wrote:
I have six first day covers from 1986-8 and wondered if they were
worth anything:

Commonwealth Conference
Isaac Newton
Linean Society
Royal Airforce
Royal Wedding
Forum: General Discussion January 23rd 09, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 6
Posted By John Tollan
G.B. Machin fluorescence

wrote:
On Jan 22, 4:04 pm, wrote:
On 22 Jan, 22:32, wrote:

I have difficulty getting GB Machins to fluoresce using...
Forum: General Discussion January 17th 09, 08:55 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By John Tollan
Super Mail Delivery

Amazing! The dying gasp of a bygone age I'd say! But ... why not give
him a (small!) gift next week!
John

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")
Ralphael1 wrote:
Today I receved a Flat from a stamp...
Forum: General Discussion December 23rd 08, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By John Tollan
Delcampe

It's a great site! Friendly, cooperative, honest. I've picked up some
fantastic material at good prices and made some valuable contacts.

John

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")

Ralphael1 wrote:
In...
Forum: General Discussion December 19th 08, 11:04 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By John Tollan
France booklets

Joshua McGee wrote:
On Dec 18, 7:39 pm, John Tollan wrote:
In your opinion, what is the best Machin catalogue?

Shhhhh! Someone's listening!

(Hello Mr....
Forum: General Discussion December 19th 08, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By John Tollan
France booklets

Joshua McGee wrote:
On Dec 18, 4:22 pm, John Tollan wrote:
Joshua:

That's a huge area to collect!! How do you structure and/or limit a
collection like...
Forum: General Discussion December 19th 08, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By John Tollan
France booklets

Joshua:

That's a huge area to collect!! How do you structure and/or limit a
collection like that?
It's a bit like collecting all moisture-activated stamps - isn't it?!!!

John

--
(remove "notme"...
Forum: General Discussion December 13th 08, 09:54 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me
A penny black in a pear tree.

On the second day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Two Bishop marks,
And a penny black in a pear...
Forum: General Discussion December 2nd 08, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By John Tollan
Source for Iran srtamps

Ralph:

What is the Iranian joint issue you need?

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")

Ralphael1 wrote:
Does anyone know of a dealer selling new issue stamps of Iran?
Forum: General Discussion December 1st 08, 04:25 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By John Tollan
Source for Iran srtamps

Hi Ralph:

You could try: www.herrickstamp.com/
Herrick Stamp, 301 Mill Rd Hewlett, NY 11557 TEL:(516) 569-3959
FAX:(516) 569-7093

John

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")
Forum: General Discussion December 1st 08, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By John Tollan
Source for Iran srtamps

Hi Ralph:

You could try: www.herrickstamp.com/
Herrick Stamp, 301 Mill Rd Hewlett, NY 11557 TEL:(516) 569-3959
FAX:(516) 569-7093

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")

Ralphael1 wrote:
Forum: General Discussion October 31st 08, 08:27 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By John Tollan
POW in Russia & Germany. Was: Russian philatelic translationplease

Victor
Many, many thanks! This is such a help!
John

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")

Victor Manta wrote:
"John Tollan" wrote in message
Forum: General Discussion October 29th 08, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By John Tollan
Russian philatelic translation please

Two WWI Red Cross covers addressed in Russian. I need as much
information as possible please.

Cover One: This was sold to me as a 1917 cover, but no datestamps
(including the back). To whom and to...
Forum: General Discussion October 21st 08, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By John Tollan
Burma SG vs Scott numbers

Thanks for the help!

John

John Tollan wrote:
The Scott numbers for the issues of the Republic of Burma begin at #85
(the issue of Jan. 6, 1948)
Could someone please inform me of the...
Forum: General Discussion October 21st 08, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By John Tollan
Burma SG vs Scott numbers

The Scott numbers for the issues of the Republic of Burma begin at #85
(the issue of Jan. 6, 1948)
Could someone please inform me of the corresponding Stanley Gibbons number.
Thanks:
John
--...
Forum: General Discussion October 14th 08, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 21
Posted By John Tollan
stamps, wherenhell?

Hell Norway from Wikipedia:

Hell is a village in Stjørdal, Norway with a population of 352. It has
become a minor tourist attraction because of its name, since people like
to take the train there...
Forum: General Discussion October 14th 08, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 21
Posted By John Tollan
stamps, wherenhell?

Ralphael1 wrote:

Don't even start with the place names. You got some really strange
ones there in the outback as well as many other countries.
Cayman Islands also has a Hell. I don't have a...
Forum: General Discussion October 14th 08, 01:13 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 21
Posted By John Tollan
stamps, wherenhell?

rodney wrote:
That cover has a quirky connection,
If you Google Booligal, you will find one of our famous
bush poets "Banjo Paterson" wrote about Booligal

"Hay and Hell and Booligal"
so...
Forum: General Discussion October 12th 08, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 21
Posted By John Tollan
stamps, wherenhell?

Ralphael1 wrote:
Looking back at some holes in my Joint Issuss collection I ran into
Abkhazia. Nakhichevan and South Ossetia.
Google solved the wherenhell is that question.
ebay did not solve...
Forum: General Discussion October 11th 08, 09:50 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 8
Posted By John Tollan
United We Stand, September 11, 2001

Ralphael1 wrote:
My 2002 United We Stand collection shows 29 different country stamps
with the American flag and United We Stand, one with just United We
Stand and four the American Flag and In...
Forum: General Discussion September 26th 08, 10:15 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 13
Posted By John Tollan
historic currency equivalence

Tony:
Try
http://projects.exeter.ac.uk/RDavies/arian/current/howmuch.html
and
http://www.measuringworth.com/

John

Tony Vella wrote:
Some time ago someone -- IIRC it was Blair -- posted a url...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 35