Showing results 1 to 25 of 60
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John R. Yamamoto-Wilson
Forum: Books November 18th 07, 02:40 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
uncollected Salinger and his ravening lawyers

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Salinger didn't want this material republished, ever; he has
every legal right to prevent it; and he's a litigious SOB.

It's true that in 1974 he took legal...
Forum: Books September 7th 07, 04:49 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
minor brag, and advice on cutting pages

garyjbp wrote:

it was only the top edges in the rear section of the text block that
had been uncut

Strictly speaking, the term is unopened, since uncut refers to
rough-edged pages. The...
Forum: Books September 6th 07, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
minor brag, and advice on cutting pages

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

Sharpness counts.

Something *too* sharp is likely to slip and cut in the wrong place. Too
blunt and it may tear the paper roughly. I've found that a credit card
is...
Forum: Books June 18th 07, 11:01 PM Posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 14
New Books With Rough Page Edges

jadel wrote:

Too bad. Except to pedants, it's a deckle edge--pseudo or not.

An odd thing to say. You'd have to be moderately pedantic to come up
with a word like deckle in the first place.

John
Forum: Books June 17th 07, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
Washed Books ?

wrote:

The book was rebound in 1800s. While there are 2 initials on the book
spine, there are no stamp or other marks in the book.

Since the cutout raised a red flag, as...
Forum: Books June 16th 07, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
Washed Books ?

wrote:

The wormed copy does have a library stamp located exactly
at the cut-out section of the washed copy.

If you suspect that both copies may have originated from that...
Forum: Books June 15th 07, 08:59 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
Washed Books ?

wrote:

What is the difference between removing library stamp and
proof of ownership ?

Alice is saying that maybe the the book had been stolen from the library
and the...
Forum: Books June 15th 07, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
Washed Books ?

wrote:

The book in question is "Histoire de l'expédition chrestienne au
Royaume de la Chine"

"...entreprinse par les pères de la Compagnie de Jesus ... / tirée des...
Forum: Books June 15th 07, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
Washed Books ?

wrote:

A rare book seller told me that a 400-year old book (that I
just found) was washed and rebound in the XIX century, to fit
the style of the library of the new owner....
Forum: Books May 29th 07, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
Detective Book Club oddity

Jim wrote:

Well, checking these titles on bookfinder, I come up with an
ordinary Detective Book Club edition as well, which leads me
to assume that 1969 (or 1970) *is* the date of publication....
Forum: Books May 29th 07, 05:17 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
Detective Book Club oddity

Jim wrote:
I picked up today a "collector's item" published by the Detective Book
Club (aka Walter Black, Roslyn, NY). It was one of their three-in-one
mystery collections, but bound in a heavy...
Forum: Books May 29th 07, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Valuable item?

Mark Tandy wrote:

How can we tell what edition we have

Well, you seem to know the year. Can you find the publisher? That
information is usually given on what's called the colophon page, which...
Forum: Books May 28th 07, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Valuable item?

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

condition matters enormously in determining the price of a piece like this.

As well as edition, of course. The OP's edition isn't the first edition,
and won't fetch...
Forum: Books May 25th 07, 02:42 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 7
The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene edition

Ferris92 wrote:

Is it common for books written in English to have an American
edition and a British edition in which there are differences
in text besides the idiosyncrasies in spelling?

I...
Forum: Books May 25th 07, 02:24 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 7
The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene edition

Ferris92 wrote:

I own two versions of Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory
and taking them both out I noticed that they had some odd
discrepancies. Even in the first sentence, one edition...
Forum: Books May 17th 07, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
1892 French Grammar by A.P Huguenet - do you know the value?

wrote:

Hello!

Few days ago I found an old book in my attic :

HOSSFELD'S
New practical method
For learning the
FRENCH LANGUAGE
Forum: Books May 11th 07, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
lookiong to start a collection

foaddoc wrote:

And the same advice is given to tyro horseplayers. It's ********.
In the first place, if you don't have a minimum amount of disposable
income, you shouldn't undertake the...
Forum: Books May 10th 07, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
lookiong to start a collection

Scot Kamins wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

just wondering if anyone could give me a couple hints on how to start
Forum: Books April 24th 07, 10:32 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Les Miserables

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

It did come across the information in the Lucile project, and have since
found a book that they published as early as 1856. But that is about it.

I'd be wary of the...
Forum: Books April 24th 07, 01:48 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Les Miserables

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

I picked up a two volume set of Hugo's Les Miserables this weekend. I
have done some research and have not been able to find it anywhere. (I
checked addall.com,...
Forum: Books April 13th 07, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 9
Reddish stains along the upper border of books

RF wrote:

Since he said the books weren't that old, it would seem that the
cause is more likely fungal than chemical. Just my $.02

True 'nuff. These days paper is pretty much universally...
Forum: Books April 12th 07, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 9
Reddish stains along the upper border of books

Pereira de Lisboa wrote:

Can I safely place these books along with other books? Or must
I isolate them to avoid the issue spreading?

There are several processes that result in something that...
Forum: Books March 21st 07, 10:06 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 3
The Sketch-Book Washington Irving

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

Are you sure of the publisher? It is not a name I have come across. I
checked the Library of Congress catalogue and do not find it.

There is a COPAC listing for a...
Forum: Books December 30th 06, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Novels of Victor Hugo, By the Order of the King, Valjean Edition

Techie wrote:

Is it worth anything?

http://tinyurl.com/ykh7f8
http://tinyurl.com/ynx9zh

there is a price sticker (modern) attached to the first page (a thicker page)
when I open the cover....
Forum: Books December 30th 06, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 3
warped boards

my-wings wrote:

Is there any cure for warped boards? I just bought a book that's got a badly
warped back board, probably water damage. I'm not very optimistic that just
putting it under a...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 60