Showing results 1 to 25 of 344
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mike Marotta
Forum: Coins January 4th 10, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 58
Posted By Mike Marotta
Numismatist on owning counterfeits

On Dec 25 2009, 8:14 pm, Anka wrote:
On Dec 25, 1:19 pm, Reid Goldsborough
Jeez (Christmashumor). No wonder things have been so difficult in Iraq
Forum: Coins January 4th 10, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 16
Posted By Mike Marotta
"Blast White"

On Dec 26 2009, 9:56*pm, "Petronius" wrote:
The term "Blast White" has become so over/misused on eBay so as to become almost
meaningless.
Not that the term makes much sense...
Forum: Coins January 4th 10, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 0
Posted By Mike Marotta
Militia Groups Creating Own "Currency"

On Dec 19 2009, 10:20 am, Bob wrote:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/militia-groups-creating-their-own-c...

This story originated with the SPLC (Southern Poverty Law...
Forum: Coins December 7th 09, 05:03 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 58
Posted By Mike Marotta
Numismatist on owning counterfeits

On Dec 6, 2:03 pm, Phil DeMayo wrote:
The cases pointed out that simple possession without intent to defraud
does not violate Section 485, but neither case proved that simple
Forum: Coins December 2nd 09, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 2
Posted By Mike Marotta
Interpol Targets Fakes

Global Congress calls for co-ordinated response to counterfeits
threat
CANCUN, Mexico – Senior decision-makers from governments, law
enforcement, customs and the private sector are...
Forum: Coins November 27th 09, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 10
Posted By Mike Marotta
Ancient coins. Where to start?

On Nov 26, 2:13 pm, varois83 wrote:
I was wondering where one should start to collect ancient coins (Low
end ones). I don't want to become an expert on the subject, just...
Forum: Coins November 20th 09, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 2
Posted By Mike Marotta
Email from ANA Blocked as SPAM?

I do get _most_ of the email sent to me from the ANA. However, I have
been having a problem with _some_ email from them. This morning, I
looked at my Preferences and Settings again and I see that...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 09, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Marotta
First Look at the Professional Edition Red Book

On Nov 2, 9:54 am, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
What distinguishes Professional Edition from the working class edition?

Briefly, the nature of the information presented. ...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 09, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Marotta
Seigniorage - Seignorage - Seigneurage

*It was well before that. *IIRC, it may have
starred Kirk Douglas or some other macho male lead of that period.)-

You don't mean THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas and Tony...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 09, 02:57 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Marotta
First Look at the Professional Edition Red Book

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. It is a nice book, but it is
clearly for a certain class of "professional" numismatist and perhaps
not for me. I do claim to be a professional -- at least that is...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 09, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 9
Posted By Mike Marotta
Best investment value?

Go with the Saint. With 8,8 million struck, it is hardly rare but it
is nonetheless a real Saint Gaudens $20 gold coin. The others are
modern US Mint knock-offs. What gives a coin value is...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 09, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Marotta
Man attempts to hand over fake coins at Ann Arbor coin show

Sorry to have missed the action. I was at the show on the 30th and
31st and no one mentioned it. Sorry, too,that I did not log in to RCC
as usual, or I would have known to ask for details.

The Ann...
Forum: Coins October 14th 09, 08:28 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 24
Posted By Mike Marotta
Counterfeit Coins Cost Consumers Millions

On Oct 13, 2:26 pm, Peter wrote:
... The link
below is from someone else that attended a lecture given about the
same time and is illustrated.
Forum: Coins October 13th 09, 02:19 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 22
Posted By Mike Marotta
Anka

'New' Michael Jackson song mystery resolved,
Anka gets share

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/12/michael.jackson.song/index.html
Forum: Coins October 13th 09, 01:53 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 24
Posted By Mike Marotta
Counterfeit Coins Cost Consumers Millions

Do not miss the bigger picture, miss the forest for the trees.

Nothing is being done because the Peoples Republic of China is able to
hold the enforcement authorities of the United States of America...
Forum: Coins October 6th 09, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 22
Posted By Mike Marotta
Anka

Ipse dixet
---------------------

Newsgroups: rec.collecting.coins
From: Reid Goldsborough
Date: Mon,...
Forum: Coins September 25th 09, 12:26 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Marotta
Bowers book - The History of United States Coinage

On Sep 18, 4:33 am, "Thomas A." wrote:
Has anyone read Bowers: "The History of United States Coinage"? Care to
share a numismatic opinion about it? I can't find anything...
Forum: Coins September 9th 09, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Marotta
Do We Need Coins (or M1 at all)

On Sep 5, 12:56 pm, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
Privacy and/or paranoia. After 9/11, the Feds were demanding ...
It even used to be possible to place a completely untracable phone...
Forum: Coins September 9th 09, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 0
Posted By Mike Marotta
Book Review: Newton and the Counterfeiter

Released earlier this year, Thomas Levenson's _Newton and the
Counterfeiter: The Unknown Detective Career of the World’s Greatest
Scientist_ takes you to London, 1699.

Having been rebuilt only a...
Forum: Coins August 31st 09, 02:40 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Marotta
Do We Need Coins (or M1 at all)

Fall 2009, I have a graduate class in sociology: Technology and
Society, and looking ahead in the assigned text, I found a journal
article by Bernhard J. Stern, "The Challenge of Advancing...
Forum: Coins August 31st 09, 02:24 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 24
Posted By Mike Marotta
VZ dumps UseNet

On Aug 30, 5:54*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
I see that we have a fair number of participants who post under a Verizon
account. *In case you hadn't heard ...
There are several...
Forum: Coins August 28th 09, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 20
Posted By Mike Marotta
Happy Birthday, RCC!

On Aug 23, 12:42 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
FWIW, to gauge the current participation, in April I did an analysis of
thousands of rcc posts. ...

Ever the economist. Always...
Forum: Coins August 24th 09, 12:44 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 20
Posted By Mike Marotta
Happy Birthday, RCC!

On Aug 22, 4:13*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
Yes, fellow collectors. *Today is our birthday. *We are now 15 years
old. *Happy Birthday all.

Jerry

Thank you for catching this. ...
Forum: Coins August 24th 09, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 20
Posted By Mike Marotta
Happy Birthday, RCC!

On Aug 22, 4:13*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
Yes, fellow collectors. *Today is our birthday. *We are now 15 years
old. *Happy Birthday all.
Jerry

Of course your would say that...
Forum: Coins August 21st 09, 06:20 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 1
Posted By Mike Marotta
Colonial-era coin at the center of lawsuit

On Aug 18, 1:25*pm, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:
FROM:http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-doubloon-lawsuit18-2009aug18,...
"It would elevate the coin's historical...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 344