Showing results 1 to 23 of 23
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: P T
Forum: Coins May 19th 08, 12:20 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By P T
How is profit taxed?

I know there's income. I know there's interest income. I know stocks
and such are computed as capital gains/losses, long and short.

What about the profit/loss on collectible numismatic coins?
What...
Forum: Coins May 19th 08, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 13
Posted By P T
A pound of coins

Does anyone know the value of a pound of American coins? I realize this
could span a range, but approximately ... ?

I've always thrown my pocket change in various containers, and I'm
wondering how...
Forum: Coins February 15th 08, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By P T
FS: Elly Mae Clampett Commissioned Coin

I'll bet that if you took away all identification from the image on the
coin, and asked people to identify the lady, less than 1% would
correctly pick Elly Mae.
Forum: Coins February 14th 08, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 88
Posted By P T
American Weimar 2008

I read that Zimbabwe is currently in the grips of good old-fashioned
Weimar-style inflation.
Forum: Coins February 14th 08, 05:39 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 88
Posted By P T
Average Age

19,354 days old.

(http://www.mathcats.com/explore/agecalculator.html)

Okay, that's 52 yrs; will be 53 on the 17th.

My dog's birthday is tomorrow, Valentines day. She will be 10. Which
reminds...
Forum: Coins February 9th 08, 07:34 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 6
Posted By P T
Counterfeit penny

We all had a chuckle at work: we noticed someone accepted a plastic
penny sitting in the till. Granted it was brown, almost the same size
as a penny, and had a picture of Lincoln on it, but c'mon! ...
Forum: Coins February 9th 08, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 7
Posted By P T
Newbie post: Looking for mint mistakes, have questions aboutb...

I'm forced to reply to this thread. I think all the answers I've read
are disingenuous. Time to rain on the parade...

First of all, exactly what are the odds of the original poster finding
an...
Forum: Coins February 5th 08, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By P T
silver certificates

oly wrote

...Three or four percent of the world's
people (i.e., the U.S.A.) have consumed
anywhere from 30% to 50% of the
world's resources since the end of
the second world war... America...
Forum: Coins January 23rd 08, 05:01 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 25
Posted By P T
90% silver

Everyone is talking about the value of coins relative to face value $1.

Does this mean a dime has 1/10 the silver content of a silver dollar,
and a quarter has 1/4 the silver content, and a half...
Forum: Coins January 3rd 08, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 22
Posted By P T
An eBay shipment gone terribly wrong

First of all, your mail is not in an "endless postal loop."

It started in GA and went to IL, probably because it had an IL zip code
(although you are less than forthcomiing about these details.) ...
Forum: Coins July 24th 07, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 8
Posted By P T
selling coins

When people contact sites such as ebay they are often told that webtv
hardware / software is incompatible with the site, and some people take
this as a personal rejection, when it's really just a...
Forum: Coins June 16th 07, 05:16 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 25
Posted By P T
Where does coin metal come from

What I find incredible is the fact that these unusual metals like gold
can be found in relatively or extremely concentrated deposits. I would
think that in the slow
coalescence of a planet, it...
Forum: Coins May 25th 07, 04:26 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 28
Posted By P T
I Am A Glutton For Punishment ..

je.WINK wrote

I got a negative from a guy who said
my shipping fees were too high...

Negatives are just the cost of doing business. I have bought about 50
times on eBay and learned that 98%...
Forum: Coins May 25th 07, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 16
Posted By P T
Buying 2007 Gold Eagle

I bought 2 or 3 gold one ounce coins some years ago. I bought coins I
thought were attractive and wanted pure gold, not alloy ... it's been a
long time, and they're tucked away in a bank save...
Forum: Coins May 23rd 07, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By P T
The value of alloy silver

Thanks to Jim, James, and Jon,
who made useful responses.
Forum: Coins May 23rd 07, 02:48 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 28
Posted By P T
I Am A Glutton For Punishment ..

You could...

If this woman is on Ebay, buy something from her and leave negative
feedback.

Buy the notes back from her, and do the same thing she did to you.

If she's selling on ebay, you could...
Forum: Coins May 23rd 07, 02:20 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By P T
The value of alloy silver

I was reading the half-dollar thread and it got me thinking. Is buying
alloyed coins like buying stock?

Several years ago I decided to buy a couple of gold coins - I had
nothing made of gold, and I...
Forum: Coins February 27th 07, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By P T
The new $1 coin: so close.

Bruce*R tackled the riddles thus:

Presidential riddles:
What president was named after a cat?
Cheshire Arthur?

Close but no cigar.
Hint: You're in the right century.

The last 4...
Forum: Coins February 26th 07, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By P T
The new $1 coin: so close.

The plan for the new coin was oh so close, but like a movie sequel, it
fell short.
It's a shame the states-quarters idea was already done. It might have
made the $1 coin viable. I think large...
Forum: Coins February 16th 07, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By P T
Which coins should I keep?

I've got a bad habit of retaining object, and I spend fewer coins than I
receive as change. I probably have a bucket of coins. Soon I want to
get rid of some. Which should I keep?

Of course, I...
Forum: Coins February 16th 07, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 26
Posted By P T
Value of coins / currency

I saw this info in a my local paper. The author is M. Healey, New York
Times.

In Europe, the largest coin is worth $2.64, and the smallest bill (5
Euros) is worht $6.60. Japan's largest coin is...
Forum: Coins February 16th 07, 07:50 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 11
Posted By P T
One reason the $1 coins fail

I work in a retail establishment. I think a big part of the failure of
the dollar coin is the reluctance of cashiers to give them back as
change.

I never have seen our cashiers return $1 coins into...
Forum: Coins February 16th 07, 05:33 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 30
Posted By P T
Presidential Dollars and my bank

Fred*S wrote