Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.20 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Reid Goldsborough
Forum: Coins January 4th 10, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 58
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Numismatist on owning counterfeits

On Jan 3, 9:53*pm, Mike Marotta wrote:

Personally, I believe that violence is the last resort of the
incompetent.

Makes sense. According to this "thinking," FDR,...
Forum: Coins December 20th 09, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 58
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Numismatist on owning counterfeits

On Dec 6, 2:03*pm, Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Dec 2, 5:44 pm, Reid Goldsborough wrote
in part:

Lawyer Michael Benveniste
previously pointed out...
Forum: Coins October 16th 09, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 24
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Counterfeit Coins Cost Consumers Millions

On Oct 15, 11:16*pm, " wrote:

Is it possible to determine whether a slabbed coin is a fake one
without breaking the plastic casing?

Yes. Breaking a coin...
Forum: Coins September 17th 09, 05:04 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 0
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Ping Jorg Lueke

Email to you is bouncing. I might be using an old email address. Email
me if you get this. Thanks.
Forum: Coins September 9th 09, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 16
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Another Book Question: COB References?

On Sep 6, 11:11*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Look for The Practical Book of Cobs, by Daniel & Frank Sedwick, now in its
4th (2007) edition.

This is the best popular...
Forum: Coins March 25th 09, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

On Mar 24, 3:52*pm, Ian wrote:

Neat. The coin is certainly no `turd' to my eye, and i'd be more than
happy to have one of these (especially such a good...
Forum: Coins March 25th 09, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

Here's one last Owl for Anka, my latest acquisition, not yet
received ... can't wait. Actually I can, I have to, I have no choice.
Anyway, I'm a little frustrated, Anka. I've provided all these...
Forum: Coins March 24th 09, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

About this coin:

http://rg.ancients.info/misc/Owl6.jpg

It's ancient, it's authentic, but it's not official. It's a copy, an
ancient copy, struck in all likelihood by the Sabeans of South...
Forum: Coins March 24th 09, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39

On Mar 22, 11:29*am, "PC" wrote:

http://rg.ancients.info/misc/Owl6.jpg

So, anybody care to offer an opinion about what it is?

A coin.

You're a smart guy. No...
Forum: Coins March 22nd 09, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

Here's yet another Owl for Anka, another recent acquisition, another
piece I'd have no problem mouthing off about:

http://rg.ancients.info/misc/Owl6.jpg

So, anybody care to offer an opinion about...
Forum: Coins March 20th 09, 05:39 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

About this Owl:

http://rg.ancients.info/misc/Owl4.jpg

What can be said about it, with assurance, is "Fake, fake, fake, fake,
fake."

Other things: It's a curious fake. From its photo, it does...
Forum: Coins March 17th 09, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

Here's yet another Owl for Anka (I'm feeling generous, I guess):

http://rg.ancients.info/misc/Owl4.jpg

As with the previous Owls I've pointed to, this is also a recent Owl
acquisition. I've been on...
Forum: Coins March 17th 09, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

On Mar 16, 2:10*pm, wrote:

Boy, are you dumb. *It's a Bactrian CAMEL. *;-)

I know I'm dumb. But it's not because I have a Bakrian Owl on my want
list. By the way, it's cooler to...
Forum: Coins March 16th 09, 02:22 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

On Mar 15, 3:45*pm, wrote:

I don't have much to add about Athenian owls, except that I am an
outlier. *Even though I've been collecting ancients for 15 years, have
a fairly...
Forum: Coins March 15th 09, 07:09 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

About this coin:

http://rg.ancients.info/misc/Owl3.jpg

Anka and Ian are both correct. It is an Intermediate Style Owl minted
in Athens c. 350-294 BC. This makes it about 23 centuries old....
Forum: Coins March 14th 09, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

On Mar 13, 2:00*pm, wrote:

I'll bite. *It looks like an intermediate style owl with two test
cuts, one at the owl's neck and one below Athena's chin. *Is the tet a
forgery?

Forum: Coins March 13th 09, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

Here's another Owl for Anka (and anybody else):

http://rg.ancients.info/misc/Owl3.jpg

What is it? Why is it interesting (or not)? I know why it's ugly. g
But there's interest, and history, in...
Forum: Coins March 13th 09, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

On Mar 13, 10:26*am, Jud wrote:
:::::Pulling up a chair to watch the show

Thanks, but it would be like the Roman Colosseum, and I don't want to
be party to that kind of...
Forum: Coins March 13th 09, 02:02 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

On Mar 13, 7:27*am, Mike Marotta wrote:

These coins have been die linked by their obvious style to the Emergency
Issue -Gold- Coins, an earlier stop-gap. Someone used the...
Forum: Coins March 13th 09, 12:57 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

On Mar 12, 1:20*pm, "Matthew" wrote:

Is it because of the rust-colored areas of damage that it's a fouree? *How
can you tell that is not dirt or other staining on such a worn...
Forum: Coins March 13th 09, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

Another long post...

Everybody who has responded thus far is correct, more or less. This
coin is, or purports to be, a classical Athenian Owl issued c. 449-413
BC that can be attributed among other...
Forum: Coins March 12th 09, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 39
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
An Owl for Anka

Things are a mess around here, in a funny kind of way. Here's my own
little contribution to substance. I'm going to have to show off a bit,
but unapologetically, and unavoidably. This could also be...
Forum: Coins March 10th 09, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 0
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Dating of standardized classical Owls

Long post...

I posted something similar to what follows elsewhere. It generated
only one response, a good response (on-target, substantive,
knowledgeable, and flame-free g) but it was from someone...
Forum: Coins January 27th 09, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 10
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Lion dollars

On Jan 27, 7:42*am, "Nick Knight" wrote:

Just an FYI. *I collect interesting coin websites, too, so I added this one
to my collection :)

Yep, me too. I also collect...
Forum: Coins January 25th 09, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 11
Posted By Reid Goldsborough
Fake Chinese Silver Lunar Ox Story

On Jan 24, 3:41*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

The fact that it is such a high grade is all the diagnostic necessary to
identify it as a fake. *It's the ones that are...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500