Showing results 1 to 25 of 197
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: malcolm
Forum: General Discussion November 9th 10, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 1
Posted By malcolm
If you read this, raise your hand. Philatelic interests.

Have been off-line for a while after moving house and recently having
no phone ( someone STOLE the main cable ). Visit a number of sites on
a fairly regular basis. While not contributing much, make...
Forum: General Discussion May 10th 10, 03:03 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 14
Posted By malcolm
Question regarding paper

Rein

I do agree. However as long as catalogues insist on using the term "
Chalky " I think we have to get to grips with this even if we do not
agree with the term.

The biggest and original usage,...
Forum: General Discussion May 10th 10, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By malcolm
I'm Back !

If I can pitch in for a moment.

The pursuit of completeness is I think a reason why many collectors
fall by the wayside. The longer time passes- and the multiplicity of
issues old and new in any...
Forum: General Discussion May 10th 10, 01:41 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By malcolm
France postmarks

Bruno

As an aside l'internaute/ville has let me down !

I have a part postmark "thibery". I duly used the site to try to
identify it as a part strike. Nothing. In desperation I used Google -
to...
Forum: General Discussion May 4th 10, 09:07 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By malcolm
France postmarks

Bruno

Yes it is a handstamp - portions of 2 strikes to be exact - possibly
from a packet rather than a letter - unfortunately as it is an off-
paper pair I cannot be sure. Judging by how common the...
Forum: General Discussion May 1st 10, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By malcolm
France postmarks

Forget the second question. Viewing "ptt" on "pages jaune" brings up a
post office outlet at Rue La Boetie. As my stamps are relatively
recent (1961) and the letters fit the fragments visible that is...
Forum: General Discussion May 1st 10, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By malcolm
France postmarks

I have a pair of 1941 Petain stamps with a Lamartine Somme postmark. I
can find no Lamartine in Somme department, but extensive Google checks
have produced the info. that there is a Rue Lamartine in...
Forum: General Discussion May 1st 10, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 14
Posted By malcolm
Question regarding paper

SOME (modern) chalky papers can be identified with a uv lamp - because
of other substances in the coating. For example the Buildings and
Celtic Artefacts series of Ireland. Try comparing known...
Forum: General Discussion May 1st 10, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By malcolm
I'm Back !

Have you missed me?

I have moved house. First there was the packing..... then the
move..... Then due to a misunderstanding between British Telecom ( God
Bless 'em) and Sky I was off line for a...
Forum: General Discussion January 27th 10, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 0
Posted By malcolm
canada postmarks no2

A few more conundrums (pl conundra ? ) for your delectation.

1. Belmont ( province illegible) with a time code pm ( hour
unspecified - one pm collection only ? ) on a 10c centennial.
Forum: General Discussion January 21st 10, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By malcolm
Little Long Rapids, Ontario

Blair

Thanks for that. I had looked at that thread and had gathered that as
a town/village it no longer existed. However I postulate that in close
proximity to such a major structure/development...
Forum: General Discussion January 20th 10, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 23
Posted By malcolm
Spot the error.

Tha knows, eeh by gum, 'appen !

Malcolm
Forum: General Discussion January 20th 10, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By malcolm
Little Long Rapids, Ontario

I have a postmark for this place on a pair of QE2 Cameo stamps
( 1954).

After extensive searches on the internet I have found out that this is
a Hydro Electric Power Station in the middle of...
Forum: General Discussion January 16th 10, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By malcolm
Canada postmarks no 1

I did a Google on Cartierville and came up with a wiki on the Borough
of Ahuntic-Cartierville in Montreal with a population of more than
100,000. This would appear to be a much more likely...
Forum: General Discussion January 16th 10, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By malcolm
Canada postmarks no 1

Tony

I guess that lets out Winterton. I have used www.fallingrain.com, but
I am not convinced that every place is included - and in any case
places change their name from time to time and 1945 was a...
Forum: General Discussion January 16th 10, 09:06 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By malcolm
Canada postmarks no 1

A further thought on W.......ON.

Winterton would fit. However this is in Newfoundland and the stamp
definitely shows Canada and it is dated 1945.

However I note that Newfoundland today is actually...
Forum: General Discussion January 16th 10, 08:53 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By malcolm
Canada postmarks no 1

Thanks Ryan and Richard.

As usual I am overwhelmed by the knowledge,generosity and sometimes
inspired guesswork on this board.

A few further notes.

1. Is a steel mark is black like a postmark. I...
Forum: General Discussion January 15th 10, 09:14 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By malcolm
Canada postmarks no 1

having digested the German contingent it is Canada's turn.

1. on a 1937 3c KG6. 2 x cds ( or possibly an oval ) On 1 (or 1
side ) ???ouf B then (E or F) then C&M. On 2 (or 2nd side) N C P R.

I...
Forum: General Discussion January 11th 10, 01:16 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By malcolm
More german postmarks

Ryan and all

I have found another website www.geonames.org. Using the search on
this shows Zwillinghof ( 8045) as being purely a farm - albeit in the
right area. Therefore by elimination the...
Forum: General Discussion January 11th 10, 12:58 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 8
Posted By malcolm
Poland 1996 Zodiac definitives - uv question

Thanks all

I will have to bookmark Rein's dissertation. I had noticed more than
one shade of yellow flourescence on the few stamps I have, but I
wasn't going to go there!! The problem is that with...
Forum: General Discussion January 11th 10, 11:53 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By malcolm
More german postmarks

Ryan

Thanks a million!

I will bookmark that website - hopefully I will then bother you all
less.

I never thought about Austria, but obviously there are also bits of
present day Poland and all...
Forum: General Discussion January 9th 10, 09:26 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By malcolm
More german postmarks

I have a number of further German postmarks to identify

1. Old 4-figure postcode 8045 on 100pf women. What is the town ?

2. ??????nz (Donau) 13. I cannot find a town ending with nz in the
present...
Forum: General Discussion January 9th 10, 08:46 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 8
Posted By malcolm
Poland 1996 Zodiac definitives - uv question

Under both s/w and l/w uv light these flouresce ( no afterglow ).
However the flourescence appears to be EITHER yellow OR white. - the
1zl on both, 10gr on white, and the remainder on yellow. However...
Forum: General Discussion January 5th 10, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 6
Posted By malcolm
Fleet Street FS circular cancel.

On Dec 28 2009, 9:47*am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au
wrote:
Rodney

Hate to disagree, but I think that FS could be "foreign section".
However there may be more than one sort of FS...
Forum: General Discussion December 5th 09, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 13
Posted By malcolm
Germany Briefzentrum/postcode correlation

Ryan

Thanks for your help. Would you believe that the only bit of the
postmark missing on 2724 is the bit prior to the rotenburg.There is a
bit after which says,I think,Wumm 1 - or possibly womm 1....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 197