CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Good Dollar Coin News? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=30523)

Malanutt 4 Life January 4th 04 03:08 PM

Good Dollar Coin News?

Is this good dollar coin news? It predicts that eventually, congress might call
for elimination of the $1 bill. It is an older article, but does anyone think
it is positive news?

http://www.vendingbiz.biz/index.php?story=168

I hope this link works. In case it doesn't work, it says:

Dollar Coin
"With budgetary concerns growing by the day on Capitol Hill in the wake of a
national economic downturn, there's a good chance that Congress will eventually
call for increased circulation of the Sacagawea Golden Dollar - and elimination
of the $1 Federal Reserve Note."

Tom

Larry Louks January 4th 04 03:20 PM

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:
Is this good dollar coin news? It predicts that eventually, congress
might call for elimination of the $1 bill.

Tom, no criticism intended, but I must ask. I've noticed that you frequently
post regarding doing away with the rag dollar. What is it that has lit such
a burning passion within you to see this happen? (I have no strong feelings
either way, but am curious as to what drives you in this concern.) Thanks!

Larry

Malanutt 4 Life January 4th 04 09:21 PM

You would think my reason for me wanting the elimination of the rag buck is
stupid, but I'll say it anyway. The reason is, because I like $2 bills and have
heard and read that if the $1 bill goes, the $2 bill will circulate more.

Tom

Aladdin Sane January 4th 04 10:29 PM

if the $1 bill goes, so will the $2 bill. Both will be coins, only makes
sense to put durable currancy into play.

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Bruce Remick January 5th 04 02:26 AM

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:

You would think my reason for me wanting the elimination of the rag buck is
stupid, but I'll say it anyway. The reason is, because I like $2 bills and have
heard and read that if the $1 bill goes, the $2 bill will circulate more.

Tom

Not stupid at all, but as long as *you* can circulate $2 bills or dollar
coins right now to your heart's content, what difference does it make
whether other people do?

Bruce

phil January 5th 04 02:47 AM

If enough people will circulate them,instad of holding onto them (coins and
deuces) as 'curiosities',and become informed of the potential savings in
printing and manufacture,eventually it will become common sense to
discontinue the rag dollars.But we know the rag-lobbyists will fight
that,tooth and nail.

Bruce Remick January 5th 04 03:45 AM

phil wrote:

If enough people will circulate them,instad of holding onto them (coins and
deuces) as 'curiosities',and become informed of the potential savings in
printing and manufacture,eventually it will become common sense to
discontinue the rag dollars.But we know the rag-lobbyists will fight
that,tooth and nail.

I would bet that most people who would be apt to circulate the $2 aren't
holding onto them-- they never see or receive them in the first place.
Sure, they may have one or two dollar coins and $2 bills squirreled away
somewhere as novelties because that's what they are to most people. As
long as people are comfortable with things as they are, there is no
reason for the government to disrupt the status quo; they'll just keep
minting more dollar and half dollar coins for the vaults. Talk about
inertia!

Bruce

Paul Robertz January 5th 04 04:38 AM

(Malanutt 4 Life) wrote in message ...
You would think my reason for me wanting the elimination of the rag buck is
stupid, but I'll say it anyway. The reason is, because I like $2 bills and have
heard and read that if the $1 bill goes, the $2 bill will circulate more.

Tom

Tom,

I like $2 bills, SBAs, Sacagaweas/baby backs, and half dollars, too.
My hunch is that the $1 rag dollars will be with us until congress can
defeat the lobbyist of the paper company who profits by supplying the
rags for those.

I'd like to see 2 and 3 cent coins circulate again, and would do
everything in my power to get ATMs to spit out a new $17.01 bill or
coin, should congress ever authorize one. I'm sure that many other
aging computer geeks and those who make their living recovering data
from crashed hard drives will also support the $17.01 bill.

Chris S January 5th 04 06:14 AM

"Malanutt 4 Life" wrote:
You would think my reason for me wanting the elimination of the rag buck

is
stupid, but I'll say it anyway. The reason is, because I like $2 bills and

have
heard and read that if the $1 bill goes, the $2 bill will circulate more.

I usually jump into threads on this subject, if favor of $1 coins. My
motivation is simple: I believe that for every $1 billion of dollar coins
circulated, the American taxpayer saves about $500 million over the life of
the coins. For similar reasons, I also advocate elimination of cents as a
business strike. I have no conflict of interests in either issue.

--Chris

Chris S January 5th 04 06:25 AM

"Malanutt 4 Life" wrote :
Is this good dollar coin news? It predicts that eventually, congress might

call
for elimination of the $1 bill. It is an older article, but does anyone

think
it is positive news?

http://www.vendingbiz.biz/index.php?story=168

In the interest of fairness, I'll point out that this information is coming
from one of the special interest groups that would benefit from the
replacement of $1 bills. I didn't see any "news" in this web page at
all--either good or bad.

But just because they would benefit, doesn't mean they're wrong. I happen to
agree with them on this issue. Sadly, it takes special interests to overcome
the status quo, which has an even more powerful lobby.

--Chris