CollectingBanter

-   Autographs (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Stupid Question... (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1348)

DGodin5492 July 9th 03 04:56 PM

Stupid Question...

When writing to former Senators, do we address the envelope as Sen. John Doe or
do we address the envelope as Mr. John Doe?

I know it's not an earth shattering issue but...

thanks

How hard can it be??

Dahoov2 July 9th 03 10:38 PM

That's what I'd put as well...

Dear Senator so and so...

I had problems with Royalty. I didn't know how to address the prince
of Monaco. It was odd writing it. But for anyone in public office
with a title, I'd put the greeting like they sign on the salutation of
their correspondence. You can't go wrong that way.

On 09 Jul 2003 20:03:34 GMT, ando (Karl) wrote:

When writing to former Senators, do we address the envelope as Sen. John Doe
or
do we address the envelope as Mr. John Doe?

As a matter of courtesy I would address them as Senator John/Jane Doe

We address formers Presidents as Mr President, and formoer military people by
their ranks ie: General soandso

Fukai-son C=:-)

Karl July 10th 03 03:38 AM

I had problems with Royalty.

I have a problem with royaltu..Period

Fukai-son C=:-)

Bjwebb3749 July 10th 03 10:23 AM

I had problems with Royalty.

I have a problem with royaltu..Period

Yes. Apparently you can't spell it.
BJ
http://bjwebb3749.tripod.com/bjscelebritysigns/

Mary Marshall Fowler July 10th 03 08:49 PM

Here is a reference on ways to address people:
http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/OTHE...SpkWritFrmsAdd
r.html
(Note "The Honorable...")
Mary

Dahoov2 July 10th 03 11:33 PM

Wow, NICE work finding that Mary. Thanks for sharing and I'm gonna
boomark that and add that link to my site if they say it's ok.
Thanks! Sue