CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sankt Stephans Groschen - Coin? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=30334)

JSTONE9352 December 25th 03 10:56 PM

I have an aluminum coin (?) about the size of a Half Dollar. On one side it
says: 1 STEPHANS GROSCHEN and on the other side it has a picture of a large
cathedral with a date of 1950 with a text around it: SANKT STEPHANS DOM IN
WIEN. Can anyone identify it? Value?

Thanks.

I believe that Wien = Vienna.

Sounds like a commemmorative token
or medal. Could be a coin also.

Christian Feldhaus December 25th 03 11:57 PM

zevim102 wrote:

I have an aluminum coin (?) about the size of a Half Dollar. On one side it
says: 1 STEPHANS GROSCHEN and on the other side it has a picture of a large
cathedral with a date of 1950 with a text around it: SANKT STEPHANS DOM IN
WIEN. Can anyone identify it? Value?

Not a coin but a token. See Dale Hallmark's page about the
Stephansgroschen at

http://www.austriancoins.com/TokensS...nsGroschen.htm

Christian

Jeff December 26th 03 12:30 AM

GREAT STORY
As a infrequent visitor to Vienna, I was impressed with the
story of these tokens.
Vienna is a great city for walking and the subways are very
easy to navigate.
And the colleagues I have met there are first rate.
Jeff
http://www.klippes.com

WinWinscenario December 26th 03 03:19 AM

Vienna is a great city for walking and the subways are very
easy to navigate.
And the colleagues I have met there are first rate.

I don't like walking around Vienna. There are far too many pastry shops with
absolutely irresistible, fantastic, extracali-
fragilisticexpialidocious CHOCOLATE!

Regards,
Tom

Dale Hallmark December 27th 03 02:16 PM

As for value

The Aluminum examples of the St Stephans Groschen
in uncirculated condition are worth about
$2-$3 USD each. HOWEVER, on eBay circulated examples occasionally sell
for $4-$8 USD plus shipping and occasionally a little more. EBay result
always show the true price of an item but that doesn't always represent the
true Worth
of that item :-)

Dale Hallmark

Bob Peterson December 27th 03 04:15 PM

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall Not this wrote in message
As for value

The Aluminum examples of the St Stephans Groschen
in uncirculated condition are worth about
$2-$3 USD each. HOWEVER, on eBay circulated examples occasionally sell
for $4-$8 USD plus shipping and occasionally a little more. EBay result
always show the true price of an item but that doesn't always represent

the
true Worth
of that item :-)

Dale Hallmark

I am always amazed at how people will cling to their beliefs regardless of
facts. The only real worth of any item is what someone will pay for it.
Just because so called experts have pegged a value on something does not
mean someone somewhere will not pay more for it. It happens all the time.
Go to any auction and you will see people paying what appear to be insane
prices for things, but at that place in time thats what the item is worth to
that buyer.

Ebay has shown that the open marketplace is very efficient at setting
prices, as anyone who ever took a first semester econ course would know.

Dale Hallmark December 27th 03 05:23 PM

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message

[...]

Yes eBay sets a price but then so does the person selling
a common item to the gullible for vastly inflated prices. Which
with eBay in many cases is the same thing.
Those prices are exactly what the person buying it thought it was
worth to him or her but not what it is actually worth. If I give
$125 for a vf 1944 Lincoln on eBay; that in no way defines the Worth
of that coin, just a foolish sale price.

To me those (sale price and worth) are totally separate concepts.
Price is what something sold for and Worth is what it can be commonly
sold for and not what it can be occasionally be sold for.
So worth to me is the lowest value that it can be commonly acquired for from
reputable knowledgeable sources selling to knowledgeable buyers. Not what
the uninformed will pay
nor is it what the shady salesman can get for it nor is it what the
uninformed
salesman sells it for. Regardless of what it sold for on eBay.

In the case of this particular item, if you want several thousand
of them in uncirculated condition to sell for whatever price you can get
then
I can tell you where you can get them for about 2 euros each.
Same price if you only want a single set.
That to me defines what they are worth.

Dale

Aram H. Haroutunian December 28th 03 10:49 AM

wrote in message
[...]

"Sarah? Should you be able to bend a solid gold watch?"
and later: "like buying a solid gold watch for a buck?"
"This is a real chump."
from Guys and Dolls.
Aram.