CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1891 silver dollar in family tradition called a "bo dollar" (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=157509)

stonej December 26th 05 10:02 PM

1891 silver dollar in family tradition called a "bo dollar"

A long time someone was asking about the origin of the term "bo dollar"
refering to
silver dollars. This might be a clue.

http://www.al.com/living/birminghamn...490.xml&coll=2

Rusty December 27th 05 05:42 PM

stonej wrote:
A long time someone was asking about the origin of the term "bo dollar"
refering to
silver dollars. This might be a clue.

http://www.al.com/living/birminghamn...490.xml&coll=2

Interesting. My wife is of Armenian heritage and was born in Fresno,
CA. Her family had a similar tradition in the late 1960s. At large
family gatherings (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc). A new shiny silver
dime was placed in the center of one of the breaded meatballs (Kuftas)
during preparation. Whoever finds the dime was suppose to have good
luck for the coming year. I would have considered it good luck not to
choke on the dime. ;-)

Rusty - Sacramento, CA

Doug Donaghue December 28th 05 08:35 AM

1891 silver dollar in family tradition called a "bo dollar"

"Rusty" wrote in message
oups.com...

stonej wrote:
A long time someone was asking about the origin of the term "bo dollar"
refering to
silver dollars. This might be a clue.

http://www.al.com/living/birminghamn...490.xml&coll=2

Interesting. My wife is of Armenian heritage and was born in Fresno,
CA. Her family had a similar tradition in the late 1960s. At large
family gatherings (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc). A new shiny silver
dime was placed in the center of one of the breaded meatballs (Kuftas)
during preparation. Whoever finds the dime was suppose to have good
luck for the coming year. I would have considered it good luck not to
choke on the dime. ;-)

Rusty - Sacramento, CA

That's teh reason parents always admonish their children to "eat slowly and
chew your food thoroughly."